Learn about canceling a tax payment or form filing in QuickBooks Online Payroll or QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
Need to stop a tax payment or form filing? You may be able to depending on your payroll service and situation.
|Note: Not sure which payroll service you have? Here's how to find your payroll service.|
Requirements to cancel or delete a tax payment
Your payroll service
The ability to cancel or delete tax payments for forms varies depending on your payroll subscription. View your payroll product to see what you can do.
- QuickBooks Online Payroll - If you choose to have QuickBooks automatically take care of tax payments and form filings, you can’t cancel tax payments yourself. Contact us to find out if we can cancel a payment. If you choose to pay for and file your tax filings yourself, you may be able to cancel tax payments.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted - You can’t cancel or delete tax payments or forms.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced - You may be able to delete tax forms or payments
You can delete a payment if:
- It’s manually recorded (non-electronic payments).
- It hasn't been processed electronically.
- The date of your federal payment is at least two banking days prior to the payment date, before 5 PM PST.
- The date of your state payment is before the lead time (state lead times vary).
You can't delete a payment if:
- It’s in process or already processed electronically.
- The form along with the payment was sent or accepted by the agency.
- It was rejected due to insufficient funds (NSF).
Cancel or delete a tax payment
Cancel a tax filing
Federal Forms 941, 944, 943, 940
Federal forms can’t be canceled once filed electronically. If you need to correct or change a filed return:
- If you use QuickBooks Online Payroll, contact us to request a correction/amendment.
- If you use QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced, see File a corrected Federal Form 941 and 940.
Each state has different policies on canceling forms that you've filed electronically. Contact your state to learn more.