Learn how to create a credit memo or refund and apply it to a customer in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Create a credit memo or issue a refund check when you need to return money to your customer. Choose the option that fits your needs.
Create a credit memo
- Select Customers and then Create Credit Memos/Refunds.
- Enter the info for the credit memo or refund. Then select Save.
To edit an existing credit memo:
- Select Company and Transaction Center. Then, Credit Memos.
- Select a credit memo from the list on the left panel. Edit the info and select Save.
Write a refund check
When you need to refund a customer, create a credit memo first, then write the refund check.
- Open the credit memo you want to use for the refund.
- Select the Refund icon.
- Make sure all the info on the check is right. Use Accounts Receivable for the account in the detail area and select Save.
- Select Customers and then Receive Payments to link the check to the payment.
- Select your customer. You'll see the amount of the credit in the Existing Credits field and the refund check at the bottom section of the window.
- Select Apply Existing Credits?
- Enter the amount in the Payment column and select Save.