This article serves as a guide on how to add, edit, and troubleshoot QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier User login and restrictions.
Set Up Users and Roles
For QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise users:
- Go to the Company menu, then select Set Up Users and Password > Set up Users.
- Select Add User...
- Fill out the User Name, Password, and Confirm Password fields, then select Next.
- On the Access for user: (username) window, choose which area of QuickBooks the user has access to, then select Next.
- If you choose Selected areas of QuickBooks, you can customize the restrictions for different areas of the company file for the newly created user by selecting No Access, Full Access, or Selective Access.
- When done, select Finish.
Hide Account Balances from unauthorized users
The Home Page displays balances for accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank, and credit card accounts. To keep users from seeing the account balances, the user's access rights must be restricted.
- From the Company menu, select Set Up Users and Password > Set Up Users.
- Highlight the user, then select Edit User...
- Choose Selected areas of Quickbooks radio button, then keep selecting Next until you are on the Sensitive Accounting Activities page.
- Select No Access.
- Keep selecting Next until you reach the end, then select Finish.
Resolve Unexpected Results
Error: "There is already a user with that name" when adding a new QuickBooks user
User with full access cannot open Payroll Setup
Only the QuickBooks administrator or an External Accountant can perform this action. You must reopen the company file and log in as the Admin or External Accountant to do this.
Users without payroll permissions can see payroll information on reports and the calendar
- Sign in as the QuickBooks Admin.
- Go to the Company menu, then select Setup Users and Passwords > Set Up Users.
- Highlight the user, then select Edit User.
- Follow the Change User Password and Access wizard to remove sensitive reporting access.