Learn how to change your company file from a QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac.
Moving from QuickBooks for Windows to Mac? You don’t have to start over—just convert your company file and you’re good to go.
Step 1: Get your company file ready
- Remove any memos longer than 50 characters or that contain special characters such as !@#$%^&*.
- Go to the Reports menu. Select Custom Reports, then Transaction Detail.
- From the Dates drop-down, select All. Select OK.
- Double-click on a transaction with a memo.
- Delete the memo, then select Save & Close.
- Repeat steps c and d for all the other transactions.
- Re-sort lists.
- Run verify and rebuild on your company file.
- Close QuickBooks.
Step 2: Convert your company file
Note: You can only move company files from QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier.
- Update QuickBooks for Desktop to the latest release.
- Open the file as the administrator.
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities. Select Copy Company File for QuickBooks Mac.
- If you see "It looks like ‘QuickBooks for Windows’ might be a better fit for your company," you may want to consider staying in QuickBooks for Windows. If you're sure you want to continue, select Yes.
- Go to the folder you want to save the file in. Name the file, and select Save. Make sure you don't add special characters in the file name.
- Move the file to your Mac by using any storage device such as DVD, flash drive, etc.
- Restore the file in your QuickBooks for Mac.