Learn how to move your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop.
You can move your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop to grow your business. There are two simple ways to start the switch: convert directly to QuickBooks Desktop or use the Quicken converter to upgrade your file first. Here's how.
When to use Quicken Converter
- You only need to use the Quicken Converter to move from a Quicken version that's NOT a parallel version of your QuickBooks Desktop (for example, Quicken 2018 to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2021).
- Quicken for Mac: The Quicken Converter, and the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks, can't move a Quicken for Mac data file. If you have Quicken for Mac, move your data file to Quicken for Windows or create a new QuickBooks company file instead.
Move from Quicken to QuickBooks
Use the Quicken Converter
Before using this tool, make sure you don't have another version of it installed. If you do, uninstall it from your computer and download the right one below.
- Download the version of converter tool that matches the year version of your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Install and move data.
- Open the Quicken Converter, then select Next.
- Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, then Next.
- Select Next, then Install.
- Select Launch Quicken Converter, then Finish.
- Select I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows, then select Get Started.
- Select Open a data file located on this computer, then Select File.
- Browse to select your Quicken file (.QDF) file and select OK.
- Select Convert it!, then select OK.
- To save your new Quicken Data File (.QDF) file, select Save, then select Exit.
Once your file is upgraded to a compatible version of Quicken, you can now start converting using the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks.
|Important: The tool creates two files, a .QFX and a .QDF. You need to use the .QDF to move your Quicken data into QuickBooks Desktop. Look for the upgraded .QDF in the same folder as your original Quicken file. You'll find it in a folder named QXXFiles where XX is the version the file was upgraded to.
Use the Conversion Utility
Move your Quicken file using the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks Desktop.
To do this,
- Go to File, select Utilities then Convert.
- Select From Quicken.
- Select the Quicken file (.QDF) that you want to move.
- The Conversion Utility will guide you through the rest of the conversion.
For more details about the Conversion Utility, press F1 to access the Help window in your QuickBooks Desktop and type convert from Quicken.
Move from Quicken to QuickBooks Online
Learn how to convert Quicken to QuickBooks Online.