Learn how to use File Doctor to fix company file or network issues in QuickBooks Desktop.
If you’re having trouble opening your company file, QuickBooks File Doctor can help. Use it when you see:
- Error -6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130.
- Error H101, H202, H303, or H505.
- Missing or blank customer, vendor, or employee lists.
Step 1: Download and install QuickBooks File Doctor
- Select the button to download the File Doctor tool. Save the installer somewhere you can easily find it (like your Windows desktop or downloads folder).
- Open the file you downloaded. It's called QBFD.exe.
- Follow the onscreen steps to install the tool. When it finishes, the tool should run automatically. If it doesn't, double-click the File Doctor icon on your Windows desktop.
Note: Follow these steps if you have trouble installing File Doctor on Windows 10.
Step 2: Run File Doctor
- In the first window, select your company file from the drop-down menu. You can also select Browse and search for your file.
- Decide what you want to scan:
- If you see a specific Error 6000 (-6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130), select Check your file and network and then Continue. The scan may take up to an hour depending on your file size.
- If you see Error H202, H101, H303, or H505, select Check network connectivity only and then Continue. The scan should only take a few minutes.
Important: If you're using a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop and try to repair an older company file, you’ll have the option to convert it. This is optional. Select Repair the file for your existing version of QuickBooks first. If the repair isn’t successful, go back and select Open the file in a newer version of QuickBooks to update the file.
Once you update, you won’t be able to open your company file in older versions of QuickBooks.
- Enter your QuickBooks admin password and then select Next.
- Select a path depending on where you’re running File Doctor.
- Select Workstation if your computer is connected to the network but doesn’t host your company file). If QuickBooks asks you to share your company file, select No.
- Select Server if your computer hosts your company file. You should also select this option if you only use QuickBooks on one computer. If QuickBooks asks you to share your company file, select Yes.
Once the scan finishes, open QuickBooks and your company file. Open your file even if the scan says it was unsuccessful.
If you still see issues after using File Doctor, please contact our support team. We can help you get QuickBooks and running again.
Next steps: Update and back up QuickBooks
After you fix your company file, back it up. For detailed steps, see create a backup of your company file.
You should also check for any software updates. In QuickBooks Desktop, go to the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks Desktop. Run updates regularly so you can get ahead of errors.