Learn how to export your QuickBooks Online Payroll data to QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop after you have set up your payroll.
If you're using QuickBooks Online Payroll Core, Premium, or Elite without accounting (standalone payroll), you may have another QuickBooks company file. You may use this file for your accounting without payroll being turned on. To keep your company file updated, export payroll transactions to QuickBooks Online directly or QuickBooks Desktop using Intuit Interchange Format (IIF).
Note: This article is for customers who have finished payroll setup. Export connection on the standalone payroll will expire if you have payroll attached to your QuickBooks Online account.
Step 1: Setup your preferences in your payroll account
- Go to your Core, Premium, or Elite payroll account.
- Select Settings ⚙, then Payroll settings.
- In Export, select Edit ✎.
- Choose your accounting software:
- QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
- QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- QuickBooks Online - You’ll be asked to sign in to your QuickBooks Online account to sync them. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online, then select the company your payroll transactions should sync to.
- Quicken for Windows or Mac
- Select Continue.
- QuickBooks will create default accounts for your wages, expenses, and liabilities. Select Edit ✎ to modify these accounts as it appears on your QuickBooks chart of accounts.
- When complete, select Done twice.
You can make changes to your preferences at any time.
Step 2: Export your payroll transactions
Each time you process payroll, you'll see an option to export the transactions from the most recent payroll run.
For any other time, you have multiple ways to export your payroll transactions. Choose the one that best fits your situation.
If you selected QuickBooks Desktop for Windows or Mac as your accounting software, proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: QuickBooks Desktop only: Import .IIF into QuickBooks Desktop
After selecting Export or Export selected paychecks, an .IIF file will be downloaded to your Downloads folder. Don’t open the IIF file.
Next, import the exported payroll transactions into your Quickbooks Desktop:
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to File, then Utilities.
- Select Import, then Import IIF.
- Select the IIF file you want to import, then select Open. Check your downloads folder to locate the .IIF file.
- Select OK.
Check out Export, import, and edit IIF files to learn more.