QuickBooks HelpQuickBooksHelpIntuit

Fix Invalid Taxpayer Information

SOLVEDby QuickBooks51Updated August 03, 2023

What is 1099-K?

  • Intuit is required to provide an annual Form 1099-K to our Payments Customers when the gross total of their card transactions during a calendar year exceeds $599. To ensure compliance with IRS requirements, Intuit must make sure that the taxpayer information on Payments accounts is correct and matches what is on file at the IRS. While many accounts have the correct information, some do not and will require manual review.
  • Incorrect or invalid taxpayer information (Legal Business Name & Taxpayer Identification Number) may lead to a disruption of services (i.e. Backup withholding, held funds, suspension, or termination).

Locating a 1099-K case

To locate a 1099-k case:

  1. Open your customer's account in Salesforce.
  2. Locate to the case section and look for a 1099-K case.
    • Case Subject: 1099K
    • Open the case
    • Case comments may not always be available. Most commonly, customers are asked to self-serve and update their taxpayer info at www.merchantcenter.intuit.com, submit an EIN Assignment Letter, or complete a Substitute Form W-9.

How are customers notified?

  • Intuit analysts make several attempts to contact customers to obtain information via email/phone. Customers who don't respond by the due date may be subject to a disruption of service.

Note: These emails are automated and will come from qbo@intuit.com with the subject line — "QuickBooks needs your taxpayer info" 

Internal referral case for invalid taxpayer info

If your customer asks for a time extension or needs the document request email re-sent, you should reach out to the 1099 Team via an SFDC referral case. This team is usually able to respond to requests within 24 hours, and hours of operation are 8 AM - 4 PM PT, Monday through Friday, excluding company holidays.

  1. Open your customer's account in Salesforce.
  2. Create a new case.
    • Offering: Business Operations
    • Type: Account Risk Monitoring
    • Area: Compliance Review
    • Owner: BizOps Account Monitoring - 1099-K Referral
  3. Add in the notes section:
    • Customer problem
    • Reasons for escalation
    • Steps already taken

Learn what to do if your taxpayer info is wrong.

You'll get a:

  • 1099-K when you process at least $600 in gross credit card transactions during the previous calendar year.
  • 1099-B if you sell any bitcoin during the previous calendar year.

We'll create the Form 1099 for you on or before January 31.

We'll let you know if your taxpayer info is expired, outdated, or incorrect. Check out these answers to questions about your verification so you can continue to use your payments or payroll services.

How do you contact me when my info is wrong?

When you process payments in QuickBooks or sell Bitcoin, we try to verify the taxpayer info you enter. If we can't, we'll ask you to update it. We'll send you an email and call you. The email comes from QBO@intuit.com or AccountValidation@intuit.com.

What do I need to do?

  1. Review the instructions and deadline in the email you receive from QBO@intuit.com or AccountValidation@Intuit.com.
  2. Change your business info in the Merchant Service Center. Or, you can complete and submit a Substitute Form W-9 or send us your SS-4 EIN Assignment Letter. If you have paper copies, take good pictures of them with your device.
  3. If you sold bitcoin and will receive a 1099-B, you'll also need to certify your tax information. To do so, visit your Bitcoin account page and follow the instructions.

What is a Substitute Form W-9?

A Substitute Form W-9 is used to verify the correct taxpayer info of an individual or business and certify that they aren't subject to backup withholding.

What's my Legal business name or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)?

If you're an individual, Sole proprietorship, or single-member LLC, the Legal business name on your account should be your name. Your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) should be either:

  • Your Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN) if you have one

For other businesses, the Legal business name on your account and your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) must match what's on file with the IRS. Your TIN is also your Employer Identification Number (EIN).

If you need to verify what's on file with the IRS, check out your SS-4 EIN Assignment letter you got from the IRS. If you lost it, contact the IRS.

What happens if I don't update my account?

If you don’t update your account you could be subject to backup withholding or experience disruptions in service. Service disruptions can include account closure, or disabled Sell option for Bitcoin.

If you have this problem, call 1-800-4INTUIT or email us at AccountValidtion@intuit.com. Include your case number and we'll help you.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
QuickBooks DesktopQuickBooks Desktop AccountantQuickBooks Desktop Accountant PlusQuickBooks Desktop PlusQuickBooks Desktop PremierQuickBooks Desktop ProQuickBooks Enterprise QuickBooks Enterprise AccountantQuickBooks Enterprise Accountant QuickBooks Enterprise DiamondQuickBooks Enterprise GoldQuickBooks Enterprise PlatinumQuickBooks Online AccountantQuickBooks Online AdvancedQuickBooks Online EssentialsQuickBooks Online Payroll CoreQuickBooks Online Payroll EliteQuickBooks Online Payroll PremiumQuickBooks Online PlusQuickBooks Online Simple StartQuickBooks PaymentsQuickBooks Payments CheckingQuickBooks Payroll AssistedQuickBooks Payroll BasicQuickBooks Payroll EnhancedQuickBooks Payroll StandardQuickBooks Point of Sale BasicQuickBooks Point of Sale Multi-StoreQuickBooks Point of Sale ProQuickBooks Self-EmployedQuickBooks Self-Employed AppQuickBooks Time EliteQuickBooks Time Premium

Sign in for the best experience

Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.

More like this