If you see the error “The name supplied already exists. Another customer, vendor, or employee is already using this name.", this is usually caused by the following:
- Importing data from QuickBooks Desktop or turning on payroll after adding employees in QuickBooks Online.
- The customer, vendor, or employee name you're trying to add already exists in QuickBooks Online.
Step 1: Find the duplicate vendor, employee, or customer
Search for a duplicate name of the vendor, employee, or customer you’re trying to add in QuickBooks Online.
- Select + New, then select Check.
- In the Payee▼ dropdown, enter the name you’re trying to add.
- Duplicate names appear on the list, and you’ll know if they’re added as a vendor, employee, or customer.
Step 2: Update the employee, vendor, or customer info
After finding the duplicate name, you can either change the name or make the profile inactive if it is no longer in use.
- Depending on what you need to edit, do one of the following:
- Find and select the duplicate name and do one of the following:
- Edit the employee, vendor, or customer name. For example, add a middle initial or a  at the end.
- If the profile you’re editing is no longer active or in use, make it inactive.