Learn how to install and set up the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise ODBC Driver.
The QuickBooks Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) driver from FLEXQuarters allows you to export data from your company file so you can create custom reports. Once you export a report, you can view it in programs like Microsoft Excel, Crystal Reports, QlikView, Python, or .Net. Here’s what to do.
- Download and install the ODBC driver.
- Run the file you just downloaded and follow the onscreen instructions.
- In QuickBooks, go to File then Utilities, then select Configure ODBC.
- Go to the General tab.
- Select Use the Company file that's now open in QuickBooks.
- In the Data Source Name, enter QuickBooks Data.
- Select Test Connection to QuickBooks. Note: Sign in to your company file as Admin to be able to run the test connection.
- When you see Test Connection to QuickBooks Successful, select OK, then select Apply.
- Go to the Messages tab.
- Clear the Detail Tracing (Slow) checkbox.
- Select the Display Optimizer Status Panel checkbox.
- (Optional) To view details of what ODBC is working on, select the Display Driver Status Panel. This will show the number of records processed and the current running activity in ODBC. It’ll also provide an assessment of speed using optimized and non-optimized data, which will let you know if you need to troubleshoot for the software's performance.
- Select Apply.
- Go to the Optimizer tab.
- Select the Use Optimizer checkbox.
- Default Optimizer file path is (%AppData%\ODBC Driver for QuickBooks\Optimizer). This is the recommended path to use.
- Select The start of every query, then select Apply. Note: The initial optimization time may vary depending on the file size. It usually takes 24 hours. The more transactions you have, the longer optimization will take. Once completed, data connections with QuickBooks will run faster.
- Select OK to exit the Configure ODBC Driver window.