Learn how to set up Intuit Data Protect.
Intuit Data Protect is a backup service that works with QuickBooks. Start to back up and help protect your files and folders. Set it up, and your data is backed up every day. We’ll show you how to set up and schedule your backups.
Intuit Data Protect System Requirements
We want you to have a smooth set up. Here's helpful info with requirements to run Intuit Data Protect prior to set up.
- Make sure you're operating system is Windows 7 or higher.
- The Windows user setting up Intuit Data Protect needs to have local admin rights to the computer. They need full access to all folders.
- You'll want to install the full version of QuickBooks Desktop on the Server or the computer where you’re setting up Intuit Data Protect.
- You'll need to store files on the local area network. (Box, Googles Sheets, and OneDrive aren’t supported.)
- You'll want to use a local file path on the computer. Network drives you map aren't supported.
- For security purposes, make sure you update the Norton Life lock certificate every six months. Just log out and back into Intuit Data Protect.
- Add access to Intuit Data Protect secure sites in Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer and select the gear icon (Tools) in the upper right hand corner.
- Select Internet options and open the Security tab.
- Select Trusted sites and then Sites.
- Add all of the Intuit Data Protect secure websites and then select Close.
Set up Intuit Data Protect
After you sign up, set up Intuit Data Protect on the computer where you save your files. Here's a video to help you get started.
- Open QuickBooks on the computer or server that stores your QuickBooks file. If you don't know where that is, press F2 in QuickBooks to find out.
- Go to the File menu. Select Back Up Company and then Set Up/Activate Online Backup.
- Sign in with the email you used when you signed up. This is different than your QuickBooks login.
- Once the setup is complete, select Continue.
- Select your QuickBooks company file, then select Continue. If you have the entire PC plan, select the folders you want to back up. Then, select Continue.
- Select the checkbox for Back up local selected documents, then select Continue.
- Choose the files and folders you’d like to back up, then select Continue.
- Schedule your daily backup, then select Continue.
- Set up your notifications settings, then select Continue.
Your first backup may take several hours. It depends on the number of files and their size. Don't worry. The backups you make after that will only take a few minutes.
Manage your backups
- Back up with Intuit Data Protect
- View your backup history
- Change which files to back up
- Update your email reminders
Get help backing up with Intuit Data Protect
Learn what to do when you can’t backup with Intuit Data Protect.