The article outlines the steps in printing 1099-Misc and 1096 Misc in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. For more information about 1099 forms and for help in running the 1099 wizard, refer to Set up and file 1099 forms.
- Verify all 1099 information by viewing the 1099 reports:
- From the Reports menu, select Vendors & Payables, then choose 1099 Summary.
- If the figures appear incorrect, double-click the amount in the TOTAL column to view the individual transactions.
- Make sure you have blank 1099-MISC forms designed for printers. These forms are available at office supply stores and from the Intuit Market web site.
- Ensure that your printer is turned on and is online.
- Load enough blank 1099-MISC forms in your printer as you load your letterheads.Note: Do not collate your forms before putting them into the printer. Instead, start by loading all of the Copy 1 forms. After you have printed all of the Copy 1 forms for each vendor, then load and print the Copy 2 forms.
- If you have a continuous-feed printer, you may need to adjust for the additional thickness due to the copies.
- If you have a page-oriented printer, it is simpler to print copies separately rather than all at once.
- From the File menu, choose Print Forms and then select 1099s/1096.
- Follow the 1099 Wizard.
- Select Get Started.
- Select your 1099 vendors and choose Continue, then verify your 1099 vendor's information, again, choose Continue.
- Map your accounts and edit thresholds if needed, then select Continue.
- Review payments for exclusions. You can view reports to show your included 1099 payments or excluded payments. When done select Continue.
- Confirm your 1099 entries after adjustments, If correct, select Continue.
- In the Choose a filing method screen, select the Print 1099s button.
- Specify the date range for the forms then choose OK.
- Select all vendors you wish to print 1099s for and choose the Print 1099s button.
- Confirm your printer settings then select Print.
- From the File menu, choose Print Forms, then select 1099s/1096.Note: Make sure that you have blank 1096 forms in the Printer.
- Follow the wizard then in the Choose a filing method window, select Print 1099s.
- Select the date range (either in the drop-down list or in the From and To fields) covering the 1099-related payments.
- Make sure that each vendor is selected and 1099-MISC forms were printed, then, select Print 1096.
Other 1099 printing tasks and unexpected results
Print all 1099s regardless of threshold
Scenario: You want to override the IRS provided threshold used by QuickBooks Desktop.Quick Tip: To ignore IRS thresholds on the 1099 MISC form, set them to zero.
- Download the latest forms before preparing your 1099-MISC forms.
- Go to the Update to the Latest Release web page.
- Make sure your product is selected. If not, select Change link and select your QuickBooks Desktop product.
- Select and follow the instructions for one of the update options:
- Select Update to download the update file.
- Choose Setup Automatic Updates to learn how to set QuickBooks to automatically download and install the latest updates.
- Remove the thresholds from the Map vendor payment accounts window in the 1099 Wizard.
- Choose Get Started .If you don't review each window of the 1099 Wizard, be sure to use the Back button to review them later.
- Select your 1099 vendors, then choose Continue.
- Verify your 1099 vendors' information and choose Continue.
- In the Map vendor payment accounts window, select Show IRS 1099-MISC filing thresholds link.
- In the 1099-MISC IRS Thresholds window, double click Thresholds column for the appropriate 1099 Box then set the amount to zero (0.00).Note: The screen will display the Your settings do not match the current IRS thresholds message in red. Select Reset to IRS Thresholds if you want to follow the IRS-mandated threshold instead.
- Select Save & Close.
Print corrected 1099-MISC forms
Scenario: You need to reprint your 1099s because one or more 1099 was incorrect -OR- one or more vendors was omitted from the original printing.
- Because paper forms are scanned during processing, you cannot file with the IRS Forms 1096, 1097, 1098, 109, 3921, 39,22, or 5498 that you print from the IRS website.
- Printing corrected 1099s with changes to payee SSN or EIN number or incorrect name and address: Per IRS publication 2018 General Instructions for Certain Information Returns, the IRS requires a zero value for all money fields for these types of corrections. QuickBooks will not allow you to change the money fields to zero (this is a QuickBooks product limitation); zero dollar amounts will need to be entered manually.
- Before you reprint your 1099s, make sure:
- All corrections have been entered into your QuickBooks company data file.
- All missing vendors now appear in your 1099 lists with the correct amount owed.
- Select Print/E-file 1099s from Vendors menu, then choose 1099 Wizard
- Select Get Started.
- In the Select your 1099 vendors window, check off each the vendors who:
- Needs a corrected 1099.
- Was missed in earlier 1099 printing.
- In the Verify your 100 vendors' information window, make sure your information is correct then choose Continue.
- Check that payment accounts are mapped correctly and choose Continue.
- Review payments, then Continue.
- Confirm the 1099 entries and select Continue.
- In the Choose a filing method, choose Print 1099s.
- Confirm your printer settings, then select Print.
- On each copy of the printed form, write an X in the Corrected box at the top of the form.
- File the corrected forms with the federal and state governments.
- Send vendors copies of the corrected forms.
Unable to print 1099 or 1096 reports in QuickBooks
Scenario: You select Print 1099 button in the 1099 wizard and nothing happens or prints.Possible causes: A damaged program file named Qbprint.qbp -OR- printer settings in the file that cause printing issues.
- Try another printer.
- Select Printer Setup from QuickBooks File menu, then select Form Name 1099s/1096.
- If necessary, select the drop-down menu to verify and change the printer name and selecting another printer for each specific Form name.
- If the issue persists, close QuickBooks and Rename the Qbprint.qbp file.
Update missing company address and phone number in the 1096 forms
Scenario: You print 1096 forms and the company address and/or phone numbers are missing.Quick Tip: The address and phone numbers on the 1096 forms can only be edited in the Company Information window. To correct this issue, you need to go to the Company Information window.
- From Company menu, choose My Company, then select the pencil icon.
- In the Company Information window, edit the information as needed. Note that QuickBooks obtains form 1096 Address data from the Legal Name, Legal Address and City/State/ZIP.