Learn what to do if you lost or forgot your password for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
If you don’t have your password, don’t worry. Here’s how to get back into your company file. If you’re on a Mac, follow these steps instead.
|Just need to answer password reset questions? Check out your Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPS). All the info you need is on the landing page once you sign in.|
Step 1: Reset your admin password or user password
Reset your admin password
You need to reset the admin password if:
- You don’t have to enter a username. When you sign in, you only enter a password.
- Your username is “Admin”, or you have another user with the admin role.
Reset your user password
If you’re not an admin user, your QuickBooks admin can reset your password for you. Contact your admin and have them follow the steps in the "Reset a user password" section below.
Step 2: Follow steps for your password type
Once you know what type of password you need to reset, follow the steps.
Note: If you’re upgrading to QuickBooks Desktop 2020, make sure to reset your password in your earlier version of QuickBooks first.
Reset the admin password
To watch more how-to videos, visit our video section.
If you know your admin password and want to change it, learn how to change your user password in the "Reset a user password" section.
If you need to reset your admin password because you don't remember it, you'll need to confirm some info as a security step. If you don’t remember the info, we’ll show you how to find it.
For QuickBooks 2020 and later:
- On the Company Login window, select I forgot my password.
- Select an email from the dropdown list, then Next. We'll email a token to reset your password.
Note: If you don’t see your email address, select Don’t see your email in the list above? and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Enter the token from your email.
Emails from us can show up in your spam folders. Check your spam and junk folders if you don't see your code in your inbox.
For QuickBooks 2019 and earlier:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop. From the login window, select I forgot my password.
- Fill out the info on the form.
- Your license number for QuickBooks Desktop. (Hold down F2 on your keyboard from the login window to see your license number).
- Enter the name, email address, phone number, and ZIP code you used when you purchased the product.
Note: You can find all this info when you sign in to your Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPS). If you have trouble with the sign in, you can reset your CAMPS password.
- Select OK. If your info is correct, you’ll get a code to the primary email in your CAMPS. Emails from us can show up in your spam folders. Check your spam and junk folders if you don't see your code in your inbox.
- QuickBooks will then guide you through creating a new admin password.
If the password reset doesn't work
- Double-check your info. Check for any typos and confirm the info matches with what's in CAMPS.
- If you got an error or still need help with your password, try the Automated Password Reset tool.
- If you still need help, select Search for something else, type password, and select Search to contact us.
Reset a user password
- Sign in as the admin user.
- Go to Company, select Set Up Users and Passwords. Then select Set Up Users.
- If prompted, enter the admin password again.
- In the User List, select the user that needs to change their password. Then select Edit User.
- Enter a new password.
- Select Next twice, then select Finish.