Learn how to install and set up QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
We're here to help you install and set up your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Here's a step-by-step guide and some things you need to know before you start.
Step 1: Make sure QuickBooks Desktop for Mac will run on your computer
Check the minimum system requirements for your Mac to make sure you can install QuickBooks.
Step 2: Find your license and product numbers
- If you downloaded a digital copy: The email confirmation should contain the license and product number. If you can't find the email, check out how to locate your license number.
- If you bought a physical copy: Look for the scratch-off label on the package. You can scratch off the label to find your license and product number.
Step 3: Download and install QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- Download your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac version or use the CD installer (if purchased from a retailer).
- Note: If you’re can't download the installer, you might need to clear the your browser’s cache and cookies. If that doesn't help you might need to use a different browser.
- Close all applications.
- Open the installer or insert the disc into the Mac CD drive. The QuickBooks installation window opens automatically.
- Drag the QuickBooks icon to the Applications folder. The Applications folder opens automatically.
- Select the QuickBooks icon to open the application.
Step 4: Upgrade/Convert your company file
If you’ve upgraded from a previous version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, you need to update your company file to work in the newer version.
- Open your company file in the newer version.
- When QuickBooks prompts you to update or convert the company file, select Upgrade.
- If you receive a prompt message, select OK.
- Check your balances, reports and accounts to ensure the correct company file is converted.