Learn how to install and set up QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Need help in installing and setting up your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac? Here's a step-by-step guide and some things you need to know to get started with QuickBooks.
Step 1: Make sure QuickBooks Desktop for Mac will run on your computer
Check the minimum system requirements for your Mac version to make sure QuickBooks can be installed.
Step 2: Find your license and product numbers
- If you downloaded a digital copy: The email confirmation should contain the license and product number. If you haven't received the confirmation email you may locate your license number or you can contact support for help.
- If you bought a physical copy: Look for the scratch-off label on the packaging, then scratch the label to find your license and product number.
Step 3: Download and install QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- Download your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac version or use the CD installer (if purchased from a retailer).
- Note: If you’re trying to download the installer and are having trouble, you may need to clear the browser’s cache and cookies or use a different browser.
- Close all running applications.
- Double-click the downloaded installer or insert the disc into the Mac CD drive. The QuickBooks installation window opens automatically.
- Drag the QuickBooks icon to the Applications folder. The Applications folder opens automatically.
- Double-click the QuickBooks icon to open the application.
Step 4: Upgrade/Convert your company file
If you’ve upgraded from a previous version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, you need to update your company file to work in the newer version.
- Open your company file in the newer version.
- When QuickBooks prompts you to update or convert the company file, select Upgrade.
- If you receive a prompt message, select OK.
- Check your balances, reports and accounts to ensure the correct company file is converted.
Step 5: (Optional) Set up multi-user
If you have more than one user license, you can set up QuickBooks in multi-user mode to make sure all users can access the file at the same time.
- Open the Multiuser folder.
- Drag the QuickBooks Server icon to the Applications folder.User-added image
- If prompted, select Authenticate to modify the Applications folder and enter the Admin username and password. Select OK.
- Launch QuickBooks and open your company file.
- Go to File, then select Enable Multi-user Mode to share your company file.