Learn what to do if you lost or forgot your password for QuickBooks Desktop on a Windows computer.
If you don’t have your password, don’t worry. Here’s how to get back into your company file on a Windows computer. If you’re on a Mac, follow these steps instead.
|Just need to answer password reset questions? Head over to your Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPS). All the info you need is on the landing page once you log in.|
Step 1: Determine the type of password you need to reset
You can reset your Admin password or a user password.
You need to reset the admin password if:
- You don’t have to enter a user name. When you sign in, you only enter a password.
- Your User Name is “Admin” or another admin user name you created.
If you’re not an admin user, your QuickBooks admin can reset your password for you. Contact your admin and have them follow the steps in "Reset a user password" section below.
Step 2: Follow steps for your password type
Once you know what type of password you need to reset, follow the steps below.
Note: If you’re upgrading to QuickBooks Desktop 2020, make sure to reset your password in your earlier version of QuickBooks first.
Reset the admin password
If you know your admin password and simply want to change it, follow the steps to change your user password in the "Reset a user password" section below.
If you need to reset your admin password because you don't remember it, you'll need to confirm some information as a security step. If you don’t remember the info, we’ll show you how to find it.
For QuickBooks 2020:
- On the Company Login window, select I forgot my password.
- Select an email from the dropdown list, then Next. You’ll be emailed a token to reset your password. Note: If you don’t see your email address, select Don’t see your email in the list above? and follow the directions provided.
- Enter the token you received.
Emails from us can get flagged as spam. Check your spam folder if you don't see your code in your inbox.
For QuickBooks 2019 and earlier:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop. At the login window, select I forgot my password.
- Fill out the information on the form.
- The license number for the version of QuickBooks Desktop you’re using. (Press F2 from the login window to see your license number).
- The name, email address, phone number, and ZIP code you originally used when you purchased the product. Note: You can find all this info when you sign in to your Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPS). If you have trouble signing in, you can reset your CAMPS password.
- Select OK. If the info you entered is correct, you’ll get a code to the primary email listed in your CAMPS. Emails from us can get flagged as spam. Check your spam folder if you don't see your code in your inbox.
- QuickBooks will then guide you through creating a new admin password.
If the password reset doesn't work
- Double-check the info you entered. Check for any typos and confirm the info matches with what's in CAMPS.
- If you got an error or still need help resetting your password, try the Automated Password Reset tool.
- If you still need help, select Search for something else, type password, and select Search when you contact us.
Reset a user password
- Sign in as the admin user.
- Go to Company, select Set Up Users and Passwords. Then select Set Up Users.
- If prompted, enter the admin password again.
- In the User List, select the user that needs to change their password. Then select Edit User.
- Enter a new password.
- Select Next twice, then select Finish.