Get EMV® compliant
EMV is a new US credit card payment standard meant to make credit transactions more secure.
What is EMV?1
"EMV" stands for Europay, MasterCard, and Visa - the developers of this standard. Watch the video to learn more.
A more secure card
EMV cards feature "smart chips," which encrypt data for every sale, making card transactions more secure.
A new payment experience
EMV cards are designed to be inserted into the reader and remain in place throughout the entire transaction.
By October 1, 2015, all credit card companies are expected to make the transition to chip enabled cards.
Click here to see the results of Intuit's recent research report, "Small Business Adoption of EMV Technology."
Be ready for EMV.
Order your mobile QuickBooks Payments EMV Card Reader today.
- Reads both EMV chips and magnetic stripe cards.
- Works with Apple and Android devices.
- Works with your existing GoPayment app and fits in your pocket.
Already on a QuickBooks Payments plan? Subscription customers may be eligible for a Free EMV reader. Call 800-877-3279 to inquire about available EMV offers.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I order Intuit's EMV-ready payments solutions?
EMV readers are available for GoPayment and QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop 12.0. We will inform you if and when other EMV products become available.
Click here to purchase the mobile QuickBooks Payments EMV Card Reader for use with the GoPayment app.
Call 800-450-8134 to purchase the EMV Ready PIN Pad² for use with QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop 12.0.
Will I be liable for fraud losses related to the EMV liability shift?
Starting August 15, 2016, if you process a counterfeit or stolen EMV chip card using a magnetic swipe card reader using the GoPayment app, online Merchant Service Center or QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop 12.0, you may be responsible for any chargebacks and fees resulting from the fraud. We encourage you to get the new EMV card reader as soon as possible to reduce your EMV-related fraud losses when processing card-present transactions. If you are a QuickBooks Payments customer and use QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Desktop (Pro, Premier), QuickBooks Enterprise, or QuickBooks Point of Sale, powered by Revel Systems with a magnetic swipe card reader and you unknowingly accept a counterfeit or stolen EMV card in a card present transaction, Intuit will continue to cover EMV fraud liability resulting from such fraud until further notice.
Do I need to worry about EMV if I do not accept credit card payments in person?
If you only key in credit card data instead of swiping cards, you are not affected by the EMV liability shift, but you should always be aware of the ways to prevent fraud when processing online or phone transactions.
- EMV is a registered trademark of EMVCo LLC in the United States and other countries.
- The EMV Ready PIN Pad is sold separately and requires: (1) QuickBooks Payments account, (2) QuickBooks Point of Sale Desktop 12.0 software, (3) internet access or modem and phone line (sold separately), and (4) printer (sold separately). NOTE: EMV chip debit cards can only be processed as PIN debit transactions using the magnetic stripe card reader or as credit transactions using the EMV card reader at this time. This EMV Ready PIN Pad is currently unable to process EMV chip debit cards as PIN debit transactions using EMV card reader.