Learn how to search for hidden files and folders.
Need to locate your file? We’ll show you how to display hidden files and folders.
- On your Desktop or System Tray, select the folder icon to open File Explorer.
- Select the View tab and select Hidden Items.
Search for files in Windows
- On your keyboard, press Windows+E to open the Windows Explorer.
- Press Ctrl+F to select the Search Box.
- If you don't remember the entire file name, try entering part of the file name.
- If you only know the file extension, substitute an asterisk for the file name and include the extension. For example, enter *.qbw to search for QuickBooks data files or *.doc to search for Microsoft Word documents.
- Your search results will display.
Note: The same file name might appear in multiple directories or folders. The same file name might also appear multiple times with different file extensions.