Types of QuickBooks Time reports
- Approving the displayed hours approves and locks all time data up to and including the chosen report dates. Unapproving and/or rejecting the displayed hours unlocks all hours from the present back to and including the displayed report dates.
- Once a team member submits their time, they can no longer make edits (permission dependent), but admins and managers can. Once time is approved, edits can no longer be made to a timesheet by anyone.
- Unapprove the timesheets to unlock it and allow admins/managers to edit the timesheets. Reject the timesheets to allow team members to edit their time and then re-submit after they've made their changes (permission dependent).
- To view the individual timesheets that make up the total hours for a team member, in the hours total box, select view details.
- To view different types of hours (approved, submitted, and unapproved), select the tabs at the top of the window.
- A breakdown of hour types (regular: green, OT: red, time off: blue, breaks: brown) for each team member is displayed on the right side of the window, below the hours bar.
- After the timesheet(s) have been approved, the timesheet data can be exported to a payroll program.
See also: How to Run and Use the Payroll Report
After running this report, you can:
- View a detailed report that also includes a pie chart of types of hours worked by selecting Expand All.
- From this window, you can download a detailed spreadsheet in the following formats: CSV, Excel, or PDF.
- Print a copy of the spreadsheet.
Note: The PDF download does not retain filters you set, except the date range.
This report, commonly used to perform job costing, displays the total hours tracked against each job or customer and which team members worked on each one.
After running the report, you can:
- View timesheet details for each displayed job, customer, team member, group, etc.
- Download a .csv spreadsheet of those details.
For more information, see How To Run a Project Report.
Team member job costing
This report allows account administrators to view how much money is due for each job or customer, broken down by each team member that worked at that job or for that customer. It lists regular, overtime, and double time (if set up) hours, each team member's billing rate, and the total amount due for the job or customer.
- This report is only available to administrators.
- Pay Rates are required and can be set up in team member Details. If a rate is missing for a team member included on a report, or their rates are set to daily or yearly, you will be prompted to add in their hourly rate before proceeding.
- Next to each listed team member, enter their hourly rate. Then select Save and Continue.
To run this report, go to Reports > Tracking > Team Member Job Costing.
See also: How to Run a Team member Job Costing Report
This report allows administrators to download a spreadsheet that lists names of team members who worked, the number of hours they worked (separated by regular and overtime hours), their pay rate, and the total wage (hours x gross pay rate).
- This report is only available to administrators.
- Before running this report, go to the team member Details, and make sure a pay rate is entered for each team member that you want to be included in the wage report.
To run this report, go to Reports > Payroll > Wage Report.
Payroll hours summary by team member
This report, found under Reports > Payroll > Payroll Hrs Summary by Team Member, shows hour totals for each team member. It is broken out by regular hours, overtime, and time off (as applicable). Each hour type column is added into a Grand Total as well.
Logging and auditing
These reports allow administrators to download .csv spreadsheets containing certain types of data for the given time period, with a maximum of 21 days at a time. They can be found under Reports > Logging and Auditing.
- System Log: Contains all of the system log entries.
- Time Log: Contains all time entries and edits.
- Time Off Balances: Contains the total time off balance per time off code, per team member. The spreadsheet entries can then be adjusted and uploaded into QuickBooks Time to update those time off balances. See also: About Time Off Codes and Accruals.
- Approvals History: Contains all of the approvals activity recorded on the account. Keep in mind that the date range for the report will set the dates of timesheets included in the report, not the date(s) on which time was approved or unapproved.
- Applicable Large Employer: Contains total average and monthly team member hours worked. These figures are used to help determine Affordable Care Act compliance. See How to Run an Affordable Care Act ALE Report.
These reports allow administrators to make adjustments to job codes, users, groups, and group managers via a .csv spreadsheet. From each report, the administrator downloads the spreadsheet, makes adjustments, and uploads the updated data back into QuickBooks Time. They can be found under Reports > Exports.
- Job Export: A list of all job codes. See also: How to Create and Manage Jobs or Customers.
- User Export: A list of all team member and their details.
- Groups and Group Mgrs Export: A list of all groups and group managers and their details.
These reports, found under Reports > Tracking, allow administrators to track, in more detail, and download .csv spreadsheets of, certain information such as:
- GPS points: A report of all GPS coordinates recorded for each timesheet as well as a calculation for approximated accuracy.
- Hours by Full Job, Top Level Job, Group, Date, or Team Member: These reports provide hour totals under given parameters. The reports can be viewed in list or grid view, with various filters applied.
- To set a dual report filter, make sure that you have already assigned any other necessary filters.
- At the bottom of the dual filter report window are two drop-down menus, one of which is grayed out. The second one allows you to select your secondary criteria, which will allow you to generate an X and Y value for a grid .csv export.
These reports will indicate information that is typically excluded from other reports. They can be found under Reports > Exceptions. Administrators can download a .csv spreadsheet containing the following:
- Not Yet Approved or Submitted: Contains the list of individuals who have not yet submitted their time or had it approved.
- Less Than X Hours Worked on a Weekday: Contains a list of each individual that has not worked a certain amount of time on a given day.
- Geofencing Timesheet Exceptions: View a list of timesheets that contain GPS points outside of the geofence for the job that was specified.