Learn how to resolve a problem verifying your Desktop payroll subscription (error PS036).
Are you trying to update your payroll to the latest tax table, but get the error PS036? There is a problem verifying your payroll subscription?
We explain what could be the cause of this error, and how to fix it.
Possible reasons for the error
- Inactive payroll subscription
- More than one active payroll agreement with an inactive Direct Deposit agreement
- Data damage
- Product not updated
- Incorrect Service Key
- Incorrect Employer Identification Number (EIN) in the company file
- Incorrect PSID in the company file
- The version of QuickBooks Desktop you are using does not support your version of Windows
- The status of the payroll subscription in the QuickBooks Desktop Service Keys screen appears as "Invalid number or EIN"
Verify your Desktop Payroll subscription
Verify your QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription.
- Ensure that you have the latest QuickBooks Desktop release and downloaded the latest tax table release.
- Open Payroll Account Management portal. Then close the page.
- Reboot your computer.
- Download the payroll update, again.
- Reset QuickBooks Desktop Update.
|Note: If you are using Direct Deposit for the company file that is having this issue, please contact us. And do not follow the instructions below.|
If the steps above didn't work, you can try the following. However, if you are running direct deposit — do not try to follow these steps, and contact us.
- Open Payroll Account Management portal. Check if the payroll service shows Active. Then close the page.
It validates your payroll service online and should resolve the error. Otherwise, perform a clean install of QuickBooks in Selective Startup.