Learn how to create and print timesheets for paychecks.
Do you want to include timesheet data on your paychecks? If you have set up QuickBooks for Time Tracking you can. We show you how to set up time sheets, print them and run a timesheet report.
Create a weekly timesheet
To create a weekly timesheet to track hours follow these steps.
- Click Employees, then Enter Time.
- Select the employee name next to Name.
- If the hours worked are billable, select a Customer: Job and Service Item and click to select the Billable? column.
- Select the Payroll Item for time worked.
- Depending on your Preferences, you may also add a WC Code (Workers Compenstation) and a Class.
- Select in the column for the day in which hours were worked, and enter the hours worked for this job (if used) and/or for the payroll item.
- When entering time in Paychecks, Timesheets or the Enter Payroll Information window,s you can enter a time range. QuickBooks will calculate the total hours for you. For example, if you enter 8-1 in the Hours field, QuickBooks enters 5 in the same field. Or if you enter 8:30-4:35, QuickBooks enters 8:05. The time format is set in General Preferences.
- Repeat for each time worked until the week is complete. Currently QuickBooks can't copy hours worked, nor the timesheet as a whole. Each employee's hours must be completed one at a time. Using the Copy Last Sheet button in the left corner, you can pull the timesheet data used on the previous time entry for each individual employee. You can create only one timesheet per person, per week. (Overtime hours aren't calculated automatically. They must be entered manually as an overtime payroll item.)
- When finished, select Save & Close.
Columns can be resized by clicking the right-side of the border of the column header and dragging.
Create batch timesheets
- Select Employees, then Enter Time. Select Use Weekly Timesheet.
- Select the Name drop-down and scroll to the very top. Choose Multiple names(Payroll)...
- Select the names from the Select Employee, Vendor or Other Name box, select OK.
- Fill in the timesheet then select Save & New or Save & Close to record the time sheet for the multiple Employees.
- QuickBooks will have recorded the same timesheet for the multiple names that were selected.
Create a single activity timesheet
Enter a single activity with a start and stop feature to track time worked.
- Select the date of the time worked from the Date calendar. (Note: If you enter a date before today's date, you won't be able to use the Start and Stop function of the Single Activity. However, you may manually enter the amount of time for the activity in the Duration field.
- Select the employee from the Name drop-down list.
- If the hours worked are billable, select a customer job from the Customer: Job drop-down arrow and a service item from the Service Item drop-down arrow and click to select Billable. If not billable, verify the Billable checkbox isn't selected.
- Select the payroll item that the time worked affects on the paycheck from the Payroll Item drop-down arrow.
- Depending on your Preferences, you may also add a WC Code (Workers Compensation) and a Class.
- Select Start to start the time tracking for this work, or enter the time when the employee started work for this job. Select Start.
- When the job is finished, select Stop.
- Select Save & Close.
Print a blank timesheet
- Select Employees, then Enter Time.
- On the Weekly Timesheet window, select Print, then Print Blank Timesheet from the drop-down.
- In the Print Timesheets window, enter the number of copies you want to print.
- Select Print.
Print a weekly timesheet
- From the File menu, choose Print Forms, then Timesheets.
- QuickBooks defaults to the current work week. To view additional timesheets, change the date range by entering different dates in the Dated and thru fields.
- Select the timesheets you want to print.
- (Optional) To print the full text of your activity notes on each timesheet, select Print full activity notes. If you don't select this option, QuickBooks prints only the first line of each note.
- Select OK to print a timesheet for each person selected for each week within the date range.
Create a report that shows timesheet data
You can run a report that includes
- Employee names
- Customer name associated with the timesheet
- Total number of hours worked on date range you select
- Display more columns or data by using the Customize Report feature
To create this report follow steps below
- From QuickBooks menu bar, select Reports, then job, Time and Mileage, then Time by Name.
- Select Customize Report tab.
- In the Display window, add more columns to your report by selecting one or more of the display options available. To display more:
- Select Filters tab
- Select names or items you want to include on report
- If you wish to display multiple names or times
- Select the down arrow for names or items you selected
- Select the option for multiple
- Select the items from the list provided
- Select OK to apply your selections.
- Select OK on next window to save your changes.