This article guides you through the steps in processing an e-Check or scanning check payments in QuickBooks Desktop.
NOTE: The ability to process check transactions is only available in QuickBooks Payments accounts that have added this feature.
Process e-Check payment
A Sales Receipt is used when there is no existing invoice for the customer in QuickBooks Desktop and you do not want to create one.
- In QuickBooks, go to Customers > Enter Sales Receipts.
- Click the Customer:Job drop-down and select a customer or job.
- Enter the Item, Description, Quantity, Rate, and Amount accordingly.
- For the Payment Method, select e-Check.NOTE: The Check No field is optional. An e-Check payment is processed without using check numbers.
- At the bottom, select the Process e-Check payment when saving checkbox.
- Click Save & Close.
- Enter the required payment information:
- Account Type
- Routing Number
- Account Number
- Customer's first and last name
- Phone number
- Customer verification (signed authorization or customer is on the phone during the process)
- Click Submit
Scan check payment
Before scanning checks, make sure your scanner is TWAIN compliant to ensure compatibility with QuickBooks Desktop check scanning software.
Note: You will only be able to scan personal checks inside QuickBooks Desktop. At this time, there is not option to scan business checks into QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks, go to Customers > Receive Payments.
- In the Receive Payments window, click Scan Checks.
- A box may appear with a security warning. Click Yes to continue.
- Scan the desired checks and click Next.
- Verify scanned check information by clicking the text boxes with the customer name, check number, and check amount then click Next.
- Record the payment -OR- skip recording the payment so you can do it later.NOTE: If you choose to record later, proceed to step 9.
- Record check as a Receive Payment and apply to an Invoice or Sales Receipt then click Save & Close to view the next check.
- Repeat this process for each check you scanned.
- Once complete, click Send Checks for Processing.
- Click Close to exit the screen.
- Click Make Deposits if you want to record the deposit now -OR- click I’ll do this later if you like to wait until you have been funded.