Learn how to cancel a direct deposit paycheck.
Do you need to cancel a direct deposit paycheck? We explain what that timeline looks like, and how to cancel it.
Direct deposit deadlines
Before you cancel a direct deposit you should know:
- Once the direct deposit has been offloaded for ACH Once the Direct Deposit has offloaded for ACH processing, Intuit can no longer stop the Direct Deposit.
- Off load time for ACH processing of your Direct Deposit happens at exactly 5:00 p.m. Pacific time, 2 banking days before the paycheck date. (For example: If the date of the check is Friday, you can cancel or stop it any time before 5:00 p.m. pacific time on Wednesday.)
- Voiding the Direct Deposit paycheck in QuickBooks Desktop and sending that Void to Intuit after offload time will not stop the Direct Deposit from posting to your employee's bank account.
Check the status of the payroll
To check the payroll status follow these steps.
- On the top menu bar, choose Employees, then My Payroll Service then Account/Billing Information.
- Sign in using your Intuit Account Login
- Click View Payroll Activity in the direct deposit section.
- Enter your Direct Deposit PIN.
- Look for the payroll transmission with the check that needs to be stopped.
Cancel or void the paycheck
- On the top menu bar, choose Employees, then Edit/Void Paychecks.
- On the Edit/Void Paychecks screen, change both the Show paychecks through/from dates to the date of the check, and press Tab on your keyboard.
- Select the check-in question, and select Void.
- In the pop-up box, enter 'yes' and select Void.
- If you agree, select the checkbox saying you agree to the terms and conditions of voiding the paycheck.
- Repeat the previous steps as necessary to include all checks that need to be voided.
- Once the check has been voided, close the Edit/Void Paychecks window.
- Select Employees, and choose Send Payroll Data.
- Select Send. You won't see see any direct deposit checks to send. That's because this step is done to let QuickBooks Desktop connect with the server to let it know there has been a check modified and will be removed from direct deposit.
- Be sure the pay check has been voided by looking in your bank register used to pay employees. The memo line will show a modification has been made to the check. It may say: "Voided paycheck Payroll Service Funds Recovered." On the payroll liability check, the memo line may say: "Adjusted for voided paychecks." No confirmation report will be sent for voided pay checks.
If the voided Direct Deposit doesn't show in the Send Payroll Data window
The following steps only work if nothing has been edited on the paycheck other than voiding it.
- Go to the voided paycheck in question.
- Delete the information in the Memo field.
- Click Save & Close.
- Re-open the paycheck.
- Right-click and select Void Paycheck.
- Click Save & Close.
- The voided paycheck should now show in the Send Payroll Data window.
Confirm the check was canceled
Your QuickBooks Desktop confirmation report won't show whether you were able to successfully cancel the direct deposit.
However in the items to send screen, instead of saying Modified paychecks, it will now say Voided paychecks and the total number of the voided check. If you need assistance in stopping the Direct Deposit payroll before offload time, please contact us.