Depending on where the memo was originally entered, it may or may not print. Here we show you exactly where and when it will print and won't print, and how to update certain transactions to make it print.
When will a memo print and appear?
The Memo field will appear and print in the following screens:
- Create Invoice: App: ears only on customer statements
- Enter Sales Receipt: Appears only on customer statements
- Enter Credit Memo: Appears only on customer statements
- Enter Refund Receipt: Appears on both the check and customer's statement
- Pay One Vendor (Bill Payments): Appears on printed bill payment checks
- Write Checks: Appears on printed Checks.
The Memo field won't appear in the following screens:
- Enter Chargers:Does not appear on customer invoices
- Enter Bills: Does not appear on printed bill payments. Alternate option — Use the reference number field. You can put up to 21 characters in it.
- Enter Vendor Credits: Does not appear on printed bill payments. Alternate option —Use the reference number field. You can put up to 21 characters in it.
- Enter Credit Card Charges:Never appears on printed checks or customer's invoices.
How to print a memo on a bill payment
For transactions such as bill payments that may not print the memo, you can manually enter the memo from the bill.
First open the bill:
- Go to Expenses, then select Expenses.
- Open the bill that has the memo you want to appear on printed bill payment check.
- Jot down the memo or copy it (to paste later on bill payment).
- Select Save and Close.
Then you pay the bill and print the payment check:
- Select + New.
- Under Vendors select Pay Bills.
- Select the bill you copied the memo from.
- Enter the correct amount then select Save and print.
- In the Print Checks screen, select the Bill Payment (Check).
- In the Bill Payment screen, go to the Memo field and enter or paste the memo.
- Verify you have the correct Starting check #.
- Select Preview and Print then Print.
Now you how to manage memos when printing.