Learn how to add Outlook as an option to send an email if it's missing in QuickBooks Desktop.
QuickBooks Desktop lets you send your email communications through Web Mail, Outlook, and QuickBooks email. If Outlook is missing as one of your options, here are some of the possible reasons why.
- Your using a QuickBooks version which doesn't support Outlook.
- There's an issue with Outlook installation.
- Your profile is not set up in Microsoft Outlook.
- Outlook is not the default email program.
- Your QuickBooks is hosted on the Cloud and your service provider doesn't have Office installed as a hosted application.
|Important: Intuit doesn't support Microsoft applications. If you're uncomfortable performing these tasks, we recommend consulting an IT professional. Some potential risks are:|
Before you continue, make sure you're using the latest version of QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Verify if QuickBooks supports your Outlook
Important: Outlook 2019 is only compatible with the latest release of QuickBooks 2020 and later.
- Check the version of your Outlook or your Outlook's ribbons.
- Check the compatible version of your Outlook based on your QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 2: Set up the default email program
Set up your Outlook as your default email program for your email, contacts, and calendars.
If you have multiple Outlook profiles, select a default profile for your QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Edit the mail profile in Windows
- Close your QuickBooks.
- Go to the Windows Start menu, then enter the Control Panel.
- Select Control Panel, then enter Mail in the Search control panel field.
- Select Mail, then Show Profiles.
- Mark the Always use this profile checkbox, then OK.
- Open your QuickBooks, then set up Outlook for email.
If you can't find the Mail in the Control Panel, you might need to try these steps.
Solution 4: Run detect and repair in Outlook
Check out this Microsoft article to help your repair and detect issues with your Outlook.
Note: You may need to try solutions 1 and 2 again after you repair Outlook.
Solution 5: Uninstall and reinstall Office and QuickBooks
- Uninstall QuickBooks.
- Uninstall Office.
- Reinstall Office.Important: Installing the 64-bit version of Outlook can help fix the issue. If you're not sure whether your computer supports the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Outlook, check out this guide from Microsoft.
- Reinstall QuickBooks.
Solution 6: Edit the WIN.INI file in Windows
The WIN.INI file is a Windows file that holds some system settings, including those used for email.
Important: We recommend you to consult an IT professional to avoid deleting or editing the file incorrectly that cause other problems in your system.
- Go to the Windows Start menu, then enter Win.ini.
- Right-click the WIN.INI file, then select Copy full path.Note: Make sure that the backup file is in a different location.
- Go back to the C:\Windows folder and open the WIN.INI file.
- The file will have several section headings. Find the one that says [Mail].
- If there is no [Mail] section, add it to the end of the file along with the text below.
- If the [Mail] section is there, but the text below is not under that section, add it.[MAIL]MAPI=1MAPIX=1
Note: If you're unable to edit the WIN.INI file due to Windows user access permissions, sign in as the Windows Administrator user and do it again.
- Select Save, then close it.
- Restart your QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks, from the Edit menu, select Preferences, and check the Send Forms preferences. Outlook should now be an option.
If this does not resolve the issue, edit the WIN.INI again and remove the text that was added, or replace the file with the copy that was saved earlier.
Solution 7: Resolve with Microsoft
|Warning: This process is intended for a system administrator. This process includes editing the registry, which, if not done correctly could result in serious damage to your device.|
If the issue remains unresolved, the Outlook registry key may be damaged. Consult your system administrator or trusted IT professional for a resolution.
Notes for Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Mozilla Thunderbird is only supported in QuickBooks 2018 and later.
- Alternate email options are available through Web Mail. Check out how to secure a webmail in QuickBooks for more information.