Learn how to import your products and services from Excel to QuickBooks Online.
Import your item list in half the time with QuickBooks Online's Import feature.
Things to keep in mind
- Once you import a list, it can't be undone.
- You can only import 1,000 rows at a time. If your list is longer than that, split it up into multiple, smaller files.
Import your products and services
- In QuickBooks Online, go to the Settings ⚙ icon and select Import Data.
- Select Products and Services.
- On the Import products and services page, select Browse.
Tip: If you need help formatting your list, select Download a sample file.
- Find and select your Excel file. Select Open, then Next.
- Map your information. Your Field represents the headers on your spreadsheet. From each drop-down menu ▼, select the one that matches a field in QuickBooks Online.
- Product/Service Name. 100 character limit. Avoid special characters. See the approved characters list for more info.
- Quantity as-of Date. Format like this: MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY
- Income and Expense account. You can't use sub-accounts.
- Select Next.
Important: If you see some cells highlighted in red, this means the cell is invalid. Check the cell in Excel and try again.
- Select Overwrite all values for each product or service with the same name. Make sure everything looks correct because this can't be undone.
- Select Import.
Import products and services with sub-categories and sub-items
If you use sub-categories or sub-items, you need to format your Excel file a specific way. This makes sure your list imports correctly.
Categories and sub-categories
In the products/services field on your file, use the following formats:
For categories only: [Name of category]:[Name of product/service]
For categories and sub-categories: [Name of category]:[Name of sub-category]:[Name of product/service]
Items and sub-items
Use a row for each item variation.
For example: A retail business has pieces of clothing in multiple colors and sizes. Use this format: [Item]:[Size]:[Color]