Before conducting an import from Excel, it is important to know which contact fields will be imported and any restrictions, which fields are optional, and best practices before you get started.
There are several things to think about when importing from Excel:
- Confirm your files contain data.
- To import multiple pages, save each page as a separate file.
- Make sure the information you want to import appears on the first page of your workbook.
- Make sure your spreadsheet has a header row. QuickBooks Online uses the first line for mapping purposes and does not import it.
|Tip: When you export your lists from QuickBooks Desktop, clear any options that would add extra pages to your Excel workbook.|
The first, middle, and last name must appear in a single column or field before importing.
- At least one of the name fields in the originating file must contain a name.
- A name cannot exceed 100 characters.
- A name cannot include a tab, newline, colon (:), or quotation mark (").
- Names must be unique between your contact lists - Employee, Customer, and Vendor.
Restrictions: Limit of 50 characters.
- Cannot contain spaces, and must contain an at sign (@) and a period.
- Limit of 100 characters.
- Phone: No formatting restrictions; limit of 21 characters.
- Mobile: No formatting restrictions; limit of 21 characters.
- Fax: No formatting restrictions; limit of 21 characters.
- Must be in a valid URL format.
- Limit of 1000 characters.
- Street: Limit of 2000 characters.
- City: Limit of 255 characters.
State: Limit of 255 characters.
Restrictions: Limit of 30 characters.
If left blank, defaults to your home country.
Restrictions: Limit of 255 characters.
(Optional) Balance of the account as of the Opening Balance Date, in the account's currency.
The date the opening balance was valid.
The account number of the customer or vendor account. This allows you to group customers or vendors into a single account or assign a unique account for each customer or vendor.
Restrictions: The account number must follow these rules: It must start with 411 for customers, and 401 for vendors. It must be between 6 - 15 digits. It can contain both numbers and letters. If the account number is not present, a customer is automatically assigned to account 411001, and a vendor is automatically assigned to account 401001.
Restrictions: The Tax Identification Number or tax number for customers or vendors, i.e. the
Tax Identification Number (customers) or Tax ID Number (vendors).
Restrictions: Choose the report basis for this vendor (cash or accrual). If left blank, this field defaults to cash.
Restrictions: The Resale Number (for customers) has a limit of 16 characters. The Tax ID (for vendors) has a limit of 20 characters.