Is QuickBooks Desktop not starting or is only partially appearing? There are a number of reasons that can prevent QuickBooks from opening correctly.
Here are several solutions you can follow to fix the problem and get back to focusing on your business.
|Tip: Clicking your QuickBooks Desktop icon multiple times can prevent it from opening. Be sure to allow sufficient time for QuickBooks to load before continuing.
If QuickBooks isn't responding or you get an error saying it stopped working, follow these steps.
Solution 1: Download and use the QBRefresher Tool
QuickBooks processes running in the background can get stuck. Our QBRefresher Tool helps you end these QuickBooks processes, and performs a mini-repair to ensure that things are in proper order. Let the tool run its magic, then try to re-open your QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application
In case there is damage with your company file, first you need to make sure the QuickBooks program itself is working. QuickBooks may be trying to open your previous company, so it's important to isolate if the program or your company file is working.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key, then double-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon.Important: Do not release the Ctrl key until you see the "No Company Open" window, unless QuickBooks freezes or gives you an error.
- Select a company file, then choose Open.
Solution 3: Restart your computer
Restart your computer to clear processes and temporary data that may be hogging your system resources. Try to open QuickBooks after restarting.
Solution 4: Run the QBInstall Tool
Download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool) to fix errors that you may receive when opening QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download the QuickBooks Install DiagnosticTool.
- When prompted, save the file to the local Desktop.
- Close any open programs, then run the QBInstall Tool.Note: It may take up to 20 minutes to complete, depending on your internet speed and computers' performance.
- Restart the computer after running the tool to ensure the components are properly updated.
Solution 5: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop Installation
Run a repair to replace all damaged installation files.
Solution 6: Perform a Clean Installation of QuickBooks Desktop
If all else fails, performing a clean install can help. Reinstalling your QuickBooks this way moves the installation and program files into new folders (but still in the same default location). This process will not remove your company files.