Troubleshoot your QuickBooks company file if, when trying to open it, you encounter
Warning: An error occurred when QuickBooks Desktop tried to access the company file. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Intuit Technical Support and provide them with the following error codes: (-6000, -301).
This error can be caused by any of the following:
- One or more of the QuickBooks Desktop Support Files are damaged. These files are:
- The Transaction Log (TLG) file
- The Network Descriptor (ND) file
- The Data Source Name (DSN) file
- The company file is damaged
- Encryption software is installed
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release
Solution 2: Rename the QuickBooks support files
- Open the folder that contains your company file.
- Look for files with the same name as your QuickBooks file but with extensions .tlg, .nd and/or .dsn.
- Right-click each file and select Rename. Add the word .OLD to each of them.Note: These files are automatically recreated by QuickBooks.
Solution 3: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
Solution 4: Disable encryption software (if you use any)
We do not recommend encrypting your company file using third-party encryption software. Contact your encryption software's vendor for detailed instructions on how to disable it.