Learn how to print paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop.
There are several ways you can print checks from QuickBooks Desktop. We explain how in the steps below.
Print paychecks that you saved to print at a later time
- Verify printer setup.
- From File on the top menu bar, select Printer Setup, then choose Check/Paycheck.
- Ensure that you have the correct printer and Check Style selected, then press OK.
- Select the printer type: Continuous (Perforated Edge) or Page-oriented (Single Sheets). The default is Page-oriented (Single Sheets).
- Load the check forms into your printer.
- Print the paycheck.
- Select File, then choose Print Forms.
- Select Paycheck.
- From the Bank Account, choose your payroll bank account.
- Verify that the number in the First Check Number field matches the number of the first check in your printer.
- Select Both, Paycheck or Direct Deposits.
- Select the checks you want to print:
- To select all displayed checks, Select All.
- To select individual checks, select the white column to the left of the date.
- If you would like to print a global message on each pay stub, enter text in the Company message to be printed on all pay stubs box.
- Select OK.
- Adjust your printer settings, if necessary, (this is also a point where your check style can be edited), then Print. (For detailed information about printer settings, select Help in the Print Checks window.)
- Be sure that the checks are printing correctly and respond to the Did check(s) print OK? message.
- Select OK.
If the checks you need to print are not showing up in the window, you may need to mark them as Print Later. See the steps in the next section.
Mark checks as Print Later from the Payroll Center
- From Employees at the top menu bar, select Payroll Center.
- Select the Transaction tab, Paycheck.
- Select a date range that will cover the time that the paychecks were issued.
- Double-click the check that you want to print.
- Put a checkmark in the Print Later box, Save and Close. (Print Later box is at the top of the page, next to the Print icon.)
Mark checks as Print Later from the bank register
- Open your check register by clicking Banking, then Use Register.
- Double-click the check you want to print in the register view.
- Select the Print Later checkbox at the top of the page, next to the Print icon.
- Select Save and Close, then click Record in your register.
Mark paychecks to print as you create them
In the Enter Payroll Information window select:
- Select Print paycheck on check stock to queue paychecks for printing from QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Handwrite & assign check numbers if you're writing your paycheck by hand. Enter a First Check number. When you enter a check number, the number will increase by 1 for each subsequent check written from the account specified in the Bank Account field.
Direct Deposit Options
- Select Print DD on check stock to queue direct deposit advice of deposits for printing from QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Assign DD numbers to prevent direct deposits from being placed in the check-printing queue. You can still print pay stubs for your direct deposits. You can also indicate an alphanumeric starting number, which will be incremented and printed on direct deposit pay stubs.
Remove checks from the Print Paycheck window without printing them
- Open your check register by clicking Banking then Use Register.
- Double-click the check you don't want to print in the register.
- Click to clear the Print Later box at the top of the page, next to Print icon.
- Click Save and Close, and click Record in your register.
QuickBooks Desktop won't print out the check numbers and routing or bank account number. QuickBooks Desktop only prints the Pay to the Order of, Date, Amount, Employee Address, and voucher data.
You can purchase checks through Intuit)
Print paycheck transmitted through direct deposit
If you pay an employee via direct deposit and also need to have a copy of the paycheck, you can print a non-negotiable copy.
- Go to the register, and open the employee's paycheck.
- Select Print.
- Enter the check number and select OK.
- Configure the printer settings if needed.
- Select Print.
- Repeat the steps for all applicable paycheck.
Print sick or vacation time on the paycheck
- In QuickBooks Desktop, select Edit, then Preferences.
- Select Payroll & Employees.
- From the Company Preferences tab, select Pay Sub & Voucher Printing.
- Under On Paycheck Vouchers and Pay Stubs Print, select Vacation used and vacation available and Sick used and sick available.
- Select OK then OK.