Learn how to print paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop.
You can print paychecks when running payroll.
Before you proceed, have your pre-printed checks with banking information ready. QuickBooks Desktop will not print the routing number, account number and your signature. You can buy pre-printed checks from Intuit Marketplace.
Below are steps to print paychecks from QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 1: Check your printer setup
- The first step is to set up your printer in QuickBooks
- Go to File menu. Then select Printer Setup.
- Under Form Name, select Check/Paycheck.
- Under Settings tab, select the following:
- Printer Name: should be your printer
- Printer Type: should be your printer
- Check Style: select the 3-part checks (paycheck with two pay stubs)
- Select OK.
You may want to test print a check on blank paper to determine which direction to load your check stock in your printer.
- On the blank piece of paper, write Top, Bottom, then flip the paper over and write Back.
- Load the test paper in your printer and follow the steps below to test print one check.
- Review how the check info prints on the paper and load your check stock accordingly.
Step 2: Print regular paychecks or Advice of Deposit (direct deposit) forms
QuickBooks allows you to print paychecks while running payroll, or you can choose to print them or Advice of Deposit forms later.
- Process Scheduled/Unscheduled Payroll.
- In the Enter Payroll Information window, you can select:
- Print Paychecks on check stock to queue paychecks for printing.
- Handwrite & Assign Check Numbers if you’re writing your paycheck by hand.
- Review paycheck information then select Continue.
- Select Create Paychecks.
- On the Confirmation & Next Steps, select Print Paychecks.
- Go to File, then select Print Forms.
- Select Paychecks.
- Choose your payroll Bank Account.
- Verify that the number in the First Check Number field matches the number of the first check in your printer.
- Select Paycheck, then select OK to print.
- Go to Employees, select Payroll Center.
- Select the Transaction tab, choose Paycheck.
- Choose a date range that will cover the time that the paychecks were issued.
- Double-click the check that you want to print later.
- Select the Print Later box next to the Print icon, then Save and Close.
Print Advice of Deposit (direct deposit) forms
These forms are non-negotiable checks and are printed on the same check stock you use for printing regular paychecks. You can give these to your employees as pay stubs.
To print Advice of Deposit forms: