Learn about what data will convert from your current accounting software to QuickBooks desktop.
You can convert certain lists and reports from other accounting software to QuickBooks. We’ll help you figure out what you can transfer to QuickBooks. For details on how to switch from Sage 50, check out Convert from Sage 50 to QuickBooks Desktop.
Convert lists and reports from other accounting software
You’ll need to save your lists or reports in Excel or .CSV format to move them to QuickBooks.
You can import your list and balances. Here's some lists and reports you'll need from your existing software.
- Account Lists
- Customer Lists
- Employee lists
- Inventory/Item Lists
- Vendor Lists
Run these four financial reports to import your balances. Before you transfer your reports to QuickBooks, you’ll want to create the reports for the same dates. This will make sure the switch to QuickBooks is smooth.
- Balance Sheet
- Trial Balance (Only Account closing Balances will be imported)
- A/R Aging detail (Name, Amount, Document Number, Date and Due Date)
- A/P Aging detail (Name, Amount, Document Number, Date and Due Date)
Details on how QuickBooks matches the fields you import
- Chart of Accounts (Name, Number (if any) and Account Type)
- Customer List (Name, Company Name, Contact (2), Bill to Address (1), Ship to Address (1), Phone (2), Fax (1), Email (1))
- Employee List (Name, SSN #, Address (1), Phone (2), Mobile Phone (1), Fax (1), Email (1))
- Item List (Type, Name, Description, Price, Cost, Qty on Hand, Value on hand, Income Account, COGS\Expense Account, Asset Account)
- Vendor List (Name, Company Name, Contact (2), Main Address (1), Phone (2), Fax (1), Email (1))
Classes (a category on your lists) won’t convert from other accounting programs.
You won’t be able to reconcile because there isn’t any historical data in the migrated file.
You must import your reports in the order below for a successful migration. Learn how to import your QuickBooks data.
- Chart of accounts
- Customer List
- Vendors List
- Item List
- Employee List,
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
If you need additional help, you can contact QuickBooks Help .