Learn to find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files to help you determine the cause of certain errors in your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
QuickBooks Desktop logs program messages and errors, including information created by Verify, Rebuild, and Condense Data utilities, in a specific file. In Windows, the file is called QBWin.log while for Mac, it is called QuickBooks.log.
Note: Errors like "IsQBInUseLockFilePresentAndLocked...LCK can't be found. Error = 2" in QBWin.log is not a sign of data damage and should not be considered as one when troubleshooting data damage.
QuickBooks for Windows
Each QuickBooks version has its own QBWin.log. Every time you start QuickBooks, it renames the old QBWin.log file and creates a new one.
- If you only have one version of QuickBooks Desktop installed, follow Option 1.
- If you can't find the folder/s in the path advised in this article, you might need to display hidden files and folders.
Access QBWin.log on a local computer
Option 1: Access QBWin.log from QuickBooks Product Information screen
- While on the Home page, press F2 or Ctrl+1 to open the Product Information window.
- Press F3 or Ctrl+2 to open the Tech Help window, then select the Open File tab.
- Select QBWin.log, then choose Open File.Quick tip: Press Ctrl+F, then enter “Begin Verify” to find the last entry of Begin Verify on your log file.
Option 2: Access the QBWin.log in Windows
Go to the location of QBWin.log using File explorer.
Location: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks\log\XX.X\QBWin.log
In this path, XX.X represents your version of QuickBooks Desktop. For example, 18.0 is Enterprise 18.0 and 28.0 is QuickBooks 2018.
Tip: A faster way of doing this is by typing %localappdata%\Intuit\QuickBooks\log\XX.X\QBWin.log to your address bar.
Access QBWin.log on Rights Networks or other Hosted Environment
For QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier users:
- From the Start menu of your Hosted or Terminal environment, select Computer.
- On the search menu, type QBWin.log. Do not press Enter or click the magnifying glass icon.
- A list of QBWin.logs will populate. Look for the QBWin.log that has the latest timestamp.
For QuickBooks Enterprise Solution users:
- While on the QuickBooks Home page, press F2 or Ctrl+1 to open the Product Information window.
- Press F3 or Ctrl+2 to open the Tech Help window.
- Select the Open File tab.
- Select QBWin.log, then Open File.
QuickBooks for Mac
- QuickBooks for Mac does not create separate, delineated sections for Verify or Rebuild log.
- QuickBooks.log is generated for every user.
- Unlike QuickBooks for Windows, QuickBooks for Mac does not create a new log file every time you restart your program.
Access the Quickbooks.log in OSX 10.7 or later.
- From the Go menu, select Go to Folder.
- Type in ~/Library.
- Open the Logs folder, then open the QuickBooks folder.
- Double-click the QuickBooks.log file.