Learn how to import and add your accountant’s corrections to update your accounts.
If you sent your accountant an Accountant's Copy of your accounting data, you can import their changes and automatically update your company file.
To get their changes, you have two options. Your accountant can send you an Accountant Changes file that you can save on your hard drive. Or they can use the Accountant’s Copy File Transfer service to send their changes through the web.
If you have questions about the process, work with your accountant. If you don’t have an accountant, here’s how to find one.
Step 1: Import your accountant’s changes
- If you haven’t already, back up your company file so you have a save point.
- If you use QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, turn off any Advanced Inventory features you're currently using. You'll turn them back on after you import the changes.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, go to the File menu and then select Send Company File.
- Select Accountant's Copy and then Client Activities.
- If your accountant sent you their changes in an Accountant’s Changes file, select Import Accountant Changes from File. Browse your computer for the file. It should have a .qby extension at the end of the filename.
If your accountant used the Accountant's Copy File Transfer Service, select Import Accountant’s Changes from Web. Follow the onscreen steps to import their changes.
Step 2: Review your accountant’s changes
QuickBooks adds your accountant's changes automatically. Check to make sure their changes don’t conflict with any work you’ve done recently. If you have questions, talk to your accountant before moving on.
- When you’re ready to import their changes, select Incorporate Accountant's Changes. If you don’t want to import their changes, select Close.
- Select OK to confirm the changes and close any open windows.
- Then select OK and Close again. QuickBooks will create another back up of your company file.
You may also want to update the closing date and password based on your accountant’s changes.
To review these changes later on, open the folder that holds your company file. There will be a PDF that lists everything the import updated.