To help you keep track of your inventory, QuickBooks Desktop offers a wide variety of ready-made item reports. You can also customize these reports according to your business needs.
The articles in this series help you:
- Customize customer, job, and sales reports
- Customize vendor reports
- Customize item reports
- Customize company and financial reports
- Customize payroll and employee reports
Note that available columns and filters differ for each report/group of reports because each draws information from the company file differently. Understanding the concept of source and targets is particularly important when customizing reports.
P.O. Report that includes items and item descriptions
Note: Item and item description appears in Open Purchase Orders Detail report in QuickBooks Premier/Enterprise version 13 and later.
If you use QuickBooks Pro or QuickBooks for Mac, you can run a Transaction Detail report.
- From the Reports menu, select Custom Reports then click Transaction Detail.
- Click Customize Report.
- On the Display tab, select Item and Item Description under the Column section.
- On the Filters tab, select the following filters:
- Transaction Type = Purchase Order
- Posting Status = Either
- Received = No for open Purchase Orders
- Received = Yes for closed Purchase Orders.
In QuickBooks for Mac, click the Filters icon then check or uncheck a filter to add/delete it. Click Apply and close the window to save the changes.
Inventory items used in assemblies to be ordered from Vendors
This report shows inventory items that make up assemblies currently on sales order. It will help you see what inventory items need to be ordered from a vendor (using a purchase order, in most cases).
- Create a sales order using the inventory assembly that will be sold to the customer.
- Create a pending build for this assembly.
- Go to the Inventory Stock Status by Item report (Reports > Inventory > Inventory Stock Status by Item).
- View the For Assemblies column to see which inventory items are on the pending build.Note: Purchase orders can be entered for any inventory part in the For Assemblies column.
- Once the items have been received, and the assemblies are ready to build, go to the Pending Builds report (Reports > Inventory > Pending Builds).
- Double-click a pending assembly that is ready to be built.
- Click Remove Pending Status.
- Click Build & Close.
- An invoice can now be created from the sales order for the assembly that was built.
Items used in Build Assemblies
- From the Reports menu, select Custom Reports then click Summary.
- On the Display tab, set the date range to the period you need.
- Click Customize Report.
- On the Display rows by drop-down, select Item detail.
- Under Display columns for, select Quantity (select Amount if dollar amount is required).
- On the Filters tab:
- Remove the Account filter.
- Add Transaction Type then select Build Assembly filter.
- Add Detail Level then select All except summary filter.
- Click Memorize to save the report for future use.
You also have the following options:
- Set the Posting Status filter to Either to include pending builds.
- Change Display Columns by to Month to display data by month.
- Set the Item filter to Multiple items and select desired items.
Item Estimates vs Actuals
This report summarizes how accurately your company estimated costs and revenues for the items you sell. The report compares estimated cost to actual cost and estimated revenue to actual revenue for all items.
- The Est. Cost and Act. Cost columns compare your estimated cost to your actual cost for each item.
- The Est. Revenue and Act. Revenue columns compare your estimated revenue to your actual revenue from sales of each item.
- The () Diff columns show the difference between the estimated and actual amounts. A negative amount in this column means that the estimate was too high; a positive amount means that the estimate was too low.
To see a list of the transactions that make up an amount, double-click the amount.