Get answers to commonly asked questions about QuickBooks Certification program.
Program changes for QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification FAQ
The following sections answer questions about program changes for QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification.
The recommended path is to complete QuickBooks Online Certification first. You must pass the QuickBooks Online Advanced certification exam to complete the certification.
We recommend that you wait at least 90 days after taking the QuickBooks Online Certification before you take on the QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification training and exam.
Will you continue to offer Advanced Certification prep training in the webinar and live classroom events?
Yes, we will continue to offer Certification preparation training in webinar, virtual conference, and live-classroom events formats.
You can sign up for webinars and in-person training directly from the Training tab of the ProAdvisor page.
Moving forward, we will also make registration for VCon events available through the training tab in QuickBooks Online Accountant.
If I am an expert in QuickBooks Online Accountant, do I still need to take the training before taking the exam?
All training provided is optional. You can go directly to the certification exam if you choose.
You can make up to three attempts to pass the whole exam.
If you do not pass in the first three attempts, you are locked out for 60 days. When the 60 days are up, you can take the certification exam again.
|Warning Once you begin the exam, you must finish it in one sitting. You cannot stop and resume at a later time.|
We will no longer ask ProAdvisors to submit ACE Credits to maintain their Intuit ProAdvisor Certification Status.
To maintain your certification, you will complete a shorter recertification exam each year based on your level of certification. This exam focuses on the changes in QuickBooks Online since the last time you took the recertification.
Absolutely! Certified ProAdvisors can take the What’s New in QuickBooks Online Advanced training to prepare for this recertification exam.
We received feedback from our Advanced-certified ProAdvisors that taking and keeping track of ACE credits was tedious and tiresome, and we heard that certified ProAdvisors wanted to stay current with the product so that they can better serve their clients.
Therefore, building on the success of the QuickBooks Online recertification process that we unveiled earlier this year, we decided to move to this recertification model for QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification, as well.
Do I need to pass the QuickBooks Online recertification exam before I attempt the Advanced recertification exam?
No, you recertify at the highest level of certification you hold.
If you hold QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification, you only have to pass the Advanced recertification exam. We cover the core QuickBooks Online certification content and testing in the Advanced recertification exam, so there is only one exam to take and pass.
QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification Discontinuation FAQ
Effective December 31, 2018, we will be discontinuing the QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification training modules and exam.
ProAdvisors who successfully pass the QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification exam on or before December 31, 2018 will maintain their certification status for three (3) years, starting on January 1, 2019, without any additional actions required.
No new QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certifications will be granted after this date.
The following sections answer frequently asked questions about this discontinuation.
We are discontinuing this certification exam due to low demand and engagement from the ProAdvisor community, and we are shifting our efforts to create new programs and benefits that will better serve the community’s needs.
There will be more to come on these new programs and benefits later in the year.
If you are currently QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certified, your Advanced Certification status will be extended for three years, beginning on January 1, 2019, making the Advanced Certification status active until January 1, 2022.
You will need to maintain an active QuickBooks Desktop basic certification and an active Paid ProAdvisor membership to maintain the QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification status. We’ll take care of the rest on our end.
The QuickBooks Desktop 2019 Basic training and certification updates are scheduled for release early next year. An email communication will be sent closer to the launch date.
ProAdvisor Certification program FAQ
The following sections provide answers to frequently asked questions about the ProAdvisor Certification program.
The following training is available:
Training with Exam
|Certification||Allowed # of Attempts||Time To Complete Exam||Passing Score||CPE Credit for Training|
|QuickBooks Online||3||Approx. 6.5 hrs||80%||8.0|
|QuickBooks Online Advanced||4||Approx. 2 hrs||80%||n/a|
|QuickBooks Desktop||4||Approx. 3-4 hrs||80%||18.5|
|QuickBooks Point of Sale||4||Approx. 2 hrs||80%||n/a|
|QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions||4||Approx. 2 hrs||80%||4.5|
|QuickBooks Desktop Advanced||4||Approx. 9.5 hrs||80%||n/a|
|Training||Time To Complete Exam||CPE Credit for Training|
|Introduction to QuickBooks Online for Accountants||Approx. 1.5-2.5 hrs||2.5|
|QuickBooks Self-Employed||Approx. 2.5 hrs||4.4|
We offer the following certifications:
- QuickBooks Certification (Desktop version)
- QuickBooks Online Certification
- QuickBooks Point of Sale Certification
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Certification
The QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification will be discontinued on December 31, 2018.
Prerequisites vary, depending on the course:
- QuickBooks Desktop Certification and QuickBooks Online Certification: These basic courses don't require you to meet any prerequisites.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions certifications: These courses become available after you take one year of the QuickBooks Desktop Certification exam.
- QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification: This course requires you to be certified in three consecutive years of the QuickBooks Desktop Certification exam.
- QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification: This course requires a current QuickBooks Online Certification.
How many CPE credits do I receive with the certification courses and how do I know if my state accepts the CPE credits?
Each certification course includes optional training modules that may be worth CPE credits. The availability and number of CPE credits vary from course to course and year to year.
You can find the most up to date information in QuickBooks Online Accountant:
- From the left menu, select ProAdvisor.
- Select the Training tab.
- Review the available credits listed on the module card beneath the name of the module.If no credits are listed, the module does not offer CPE credits.
- After completing a module, you must access a CPE Assessment that must be completed to get the CPE credit for the specific module.The module must be completed to access the CPE Assessment.
|Note: Some states do not allow CPE credits when taking the QuickBooks ProAdvisor Certification courses. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit.When earning CPE credits, it is your responsibility to investigate what your own state board of accountancy recognizes with respect to any CPE course.|
Intuit's NASBA sponsor number is 103311.
The length of the certification process depends on the type of certification:
- QuickBooks Desktop Certification: The QuickBooks Desktop Certification exam can take up to 4 hours.To help you pass the exam we provide you with certification courses that can take up to 12 hours to complete.
- QuickBooks Online Certification: The QuickBooks Online Certification exam can take up to 3 hours.To help you pass the exam we provide you with certification courses that can take up to 7 hours to complete.If you have completed the previous year's certification, you can take a shorter What's new exam for the current year that takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Certification: These exams can take up to 2 hours each.
- QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification: The training modules for this exam take approximately 90 minutes to two hours to complete. The time to read and study the training guide is dependent upon you. The exam itself is very difficult and will take several hours to complete. Many ProAdvisors complete the exam in several sittings, and many do not pass on their first attempt.
No matter which certification you are taking, you can choose to take all the optional modules or just those where you need help. However, if the training modules are eligible for CPE credits, you must complete them individually to earn those credits.
If you fail to pass a section of an exam, you do have the chance to retake it. Depending on the exam you're taking, you have a set number of attempts available. For details on available attempts, see the table in the Available Trainings section.
When re-taking the QuickBooks Online 2018 exam, you are required to re-answer all of the questions in any section you failed. This differs from prior years, in which test-takers only had to re-answer the questions they got wrong.
All other 2018 certification exams (QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online Advanced, QuickBooks Enterprise, and QuickBooks Point-of-Sale) currently DO NOT require you to re-take the questions in a section that were answered correctly.
The Certifications you pass are yours, not your firm's, but you must remain a QuickBooks ProAdvisor Program Member to use the certification titles, logos, and distinction.
If your firm paid for and owns your ProAdvisor Program membership, they would retain all other program assets unless otherwise negotiated by you.
Recertification frequency varies, depending on the type of certification you hold:
- QuickBooks Certification: To remain a Gold Level member, you must be certified in one of the three most recent versions of the QuickBooks Desktop Certification or Certified within the past 365 days for QuickBooks Online.However, we recommend that you update your QuickBooks Certification status every year to ensure you can provide the highest level of knowledge and support to your clients.Additionally, only members who are certified in the latest version of QuickBooks are listed in the top section of the QuickBooks Find-a-ProAdvisor Website.
- QuickBooks Online Certification: Your QuickBooks Online certification is valid until July 31st of the following year.We recommend that you take the updated exam each year to stay current with your QuickBooks Online knowledge.As with QuickBooks Desktop Certification, members who are certified on the latest version of QuickBooks Online are listed in the top section of the QuickBooks Find-a-ProAdvisor Website.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale (POS) Certification and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions Certification: These certifications are offered on a two-year cycle. To stay updated, you only need to certify in these once every two years.
- QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification: Once you complete the QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification exam, you never need to take it again, and you remain Advanced Certified as long as you maintain your annual QuickBooks Desktop Certification and complete the required nine CPE credits of ACE-approved training every three years.
Once you have successfully completed the QuickBooks Desktop Certification exam or the QuickBooks Online Certification exam, you become a Gold Level Member and, depending on the certification you completed, you can use the QuickBooks Desktop Certified or QuickBooks Online Certified distinctions (or both), as applicable.
To maintain your Certified Gold Level status, you must have an active ProAdvisor member account and be certified in one of the three latest version years of QuickBooks Desktop Certification or QuickBooks Online Certification.
QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification is a one-time exam. Once you have successfully passed the Desktop Advanced Certification exam, you become a Diamond Level Member.
Is there a discounted rate if other members in my firm want to become certified, but we don't need any more software?
At the moment, we do not have a separate offering for certification only.
If you want to access the QuickBooks ProAdvisor Desktop Certification courses, you must purchase the full ProAdvisor Program membership.
Membership now comes in multiple tiers. Deluxe memberships are less expensive and provide QuickBooks Certification (Desktop), QuickBooks Online Certification, and QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification.
Contact our sales team at 1-888-250-7279 for more information on pricing and plans.
You should be able to access your badge on the Available Certifications page within 60 minutes of passing your certification exam. For complete instructions, see Accessing your Certification History
You can use your certification logos to promote your services in any way you like. For example, you could feature your badge on your website or business card.
|Warning You are not permitted to use logos or badges if you don't hold a certification in that product or course, or if your certification has expired.|
For complete instructions for printing your certificate, see Accessing your Certification History
We welcome feedback. Please send any suggestions, comments, or errors you see to qbproadvisor.com/feedback.
Please be specific about the name of the course you are working on, the specific section and module, and the lesson, quiz, or exam.
While we review ALL feedback provided and respond to most of it, we are unable to respond to any feedback about an exam question or answer.
|Warning Public discussion of the ProAdvisor Certification exam questions and answers is grounds for immediate termination of your certification. Intuit employees are restricted from providing answers to exam questions.|
Once I am QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certified or QuickBooks Online Advanced Certified, should I have to retake/recertify again?
No, you do not have to retake the QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification or QuickBooks Online Advanced Certification once you have passed these exams.
If I have already passed the previous version of the QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification, do I need to retake the new version?
No, you do not have to retake the New QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Certification if you have already passed the previous version and see a new version of the exam when you log into your ProAdvisor Center, even if the “Take Exam” button appears.
If you are already certified in the previous version of QuickBooks Desktop Advanced Exam, you do have the option to take and complete the New QB Desktop Advanced Certification if you'd like to, but it's optional.
|Note:The page does not display any indicators to show your Advanced certification. You can view your existing Advanced certification and download your badge or certificate for the previous version you have passed on the View Certification History page.|