When attempting to install or update, you may get one of the following error messages:
Error: There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618).
Error 1618. "ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING" error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.
Solution 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub
The QuickBooks Tools Hub helps fix common errors. QuickBooks needs to be closed to use the tool hub.
See Fix QuickBooks Desktop install errors to run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the QuickBooks Tools hub.
Solution 2: Manually resolve the issue
Solution 1: Check to see if there are any instances of MSIEXEC.EXE in the background
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and click Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- Click the Image Name column to alphabetize the list of running processes.
- Scroll down the list. If there are any processes called MSIEXEC.EXE, select them and click the End Process button.
- Close the Task Manager window and begin.
If you are not comfortable ending the process, reboot your computer and follow the steps above to see if there are any instances of MSIEXEC.EXE still running in the background since rebooting generally closes this process.
Solution 2: Reinstall the Microsoft Runtime Libraries via the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
Important: These troubleshooting steps may help resolve your issue. They focus on the Windows operating system, which is not an Intuit product. If you are not comfortable doing these steps on your own, Intuit recommends you to consult your computer manufacturer or a Windows expert. If the difficulty persists after performing these steps, contact your computer's manufacturer or Microsoft.
- Download the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package:
- For 32 bit computers open Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) and click Download.
- For 64 bit computers open Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) and click Download.
- Save the download to a location on your computer that is easy to find. (For example: your desktop)
- When the download has completed, double-click the downloaded file named "vcredist_X86.exe" or "vcredist_X64.exe" and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub. You downloaded this in solution 1.