Learn what to do if you see errors or messages about not enough disk space on your hard drive.
You might see messages about needing more hard drive space to finish what you're doing in QuickBooks Desktop.
- There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package
- Free some hard drive space. QuickBooks is running slowly
- Error: There is not enough free space
If you see one of these messages, don't worry. All you need to do is make some space on your computer. Here are a few recommendations.
Step 1: Check your hard drive
Before you make any changes, check how much free space you currently have. QuickBooks needs at least 1 GB of space to run the install process and 2.5 GB to work at peak performance.
- Select the Windows Start menu.
- Type “File Explorer” into the search and open File Explorer.
- Select My Computer from the navigation bar. This is sometimes called "This PC”.
- Right-click the icon for your hard drive. This is usually your C: drive.
- Select Properties. You'll see how much free space you have in the window.
Step 2: Make space on your hard drive
Use any of the following solutions to free up hard drive space. Once you have enough space, you can go back to your original task. Remember, it's best to have at least 2.5 GB free for QuickBooks to run optimally.
If you need some more help, Microsoft has several more suggestions for how to free up hard drive space.
Next Steps: Consider upgrading
If you tried all the solutions and you still need hard drive space, it may be time to upgrade. You have a few options: