Troubleshoot your Adobe Reader if your QuickBooks Desktop crashes with an Unrecoverable Error, upon opening a PDF file (for example, a previous bank reconciliation report) or when reconciling using an older version of Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Note that the error codes vary.
This error usually occurs if:
- Adobe Reader 10.0, 9.0, or 8.0 is installed and the preference for Display PDF in Browser is selected.
- Adobe 11.0 (XI) and later versions do not have the option to display PDF in browser anymore and display PDFs outside of the browser by default, which will resolve this issue going forward.
Important: If you have Adobe Acrobat 10.0, 9.0, or 8.0, you would have to purchase a new version, as Adobe Acrobat is a paid program unlike Adobe Reader, which is free. You can follow steps in Solution 2 if you do not wish to upgrade your version of Adobe Acrobat.
Solution 1: Update Adobe Reader to the latest version
- Inside Adobe Reader, choose Help > About Adobe Reader.
- If you see versions 8.0, 9.0, or 10.0 showing , you will need to update to 11.0 by downloading the Adobe Reader 11.0 from Adobe's site.
- Follow the instructions to install Adobe Reader 11.0 and reboot the computer when finished updating Adobe Reader to the latest release and try to view your previous bank reconciliation report.
Solution 2: Change the Display PDF in Browser preference (Adobe 10.0, 9.0, 8.0 only):
- From the Windows Start menu, select Programs/All Programs to see a list of installed programs.
- Choose Adobe Reader/Acrobat.Note: Adobe XI (11.0) and later no longer displays a PDF in the browser by default, so if you are on an older release, updating will resolve the issue.
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, from the Categories list, select Internet.
- Click to clear the Display PDF in Browser preference in the Web Browser Options section.
- Select OK.
Unrecoverable Error when you select a transaction for reconciliation
Perform the following solutions if a damaged Master Name List and/or Chart of Accounts gives you Unrecoverable error: xxxxx xxxxx when you attempt to reconcile your transactions.