Depending on how you access Intuit Data Protect (IDP) and your QuickBooks Desktop, we recommend several solutions to fix the error, Scheduled backup does not run.
IMPORTANT: Common Intuit Data Protect (IDP) problems can be solved by updating Intuit Data Protect (IDP) to the latest release.
If you access QuickBooks Desktop and Intuit Data Protect locally
Verify that the Windows user profile logged in has administrator-level access. For first-time setting up of IDP (and uses thereafter), you need to be logged in as the Windows administrator or have admin-level privileges so you can have full access to IDP and QuickBooks.
To check, follow these steps:
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+R to open the Run Command.
- Type in Control Panel and select OK to open the Control Panel.
- Go to User Accounts.
- On the User Accounts, you should see the word Administrator placed below the User Name. This means that the user logged in has full access to IDP, therefore can make the necessary changes in order for the backup to run smoothly.
If you need detailed steps to create a new Windows admin account, see Add, edit, or create Windows users with Admin rights to allow configuration.
The Windows account with admin-level privileges must remain logged in during the scheduled backup. If you log off and leave your system running, IDP will not have the admin-level privileges it needs for the scheduled backup to run.
If you access QuickBooks Desktop and IDP remotely
Check your server settings and ensure that your remote session is running and does not automatically time out before and during the scheduled backup time.
- Go to Control Panel, then select System and Security.
- In System and Security, select Power Options. You can adjust your computer settings (i.e., not letting your computer sleep) to ensure that your remote session will keep running before and during the scheduled back up time.
If the computer is in a power-saving mode
When a backup is scheduled to run, IDP wakes your system up if it is in Sleep mode. However, if IDP is installed on a laptop that hibernates when you close the lid, or if it runs on a low battery, the scheduled backup will not run as expected. It is best to adjust your power settings accordingly.