A QuickBooks Desktop company file contains financial records of a business. If you're just starting out with QuickBooks, the first thing you must do is create a company file. If you have an existing company file, upgrade the file or identify if it is the right time to start a new company file to replace your old file.
- Create QuickBooks Desktop company file: Overview
- Copy multiple transactions from one company file to another
- Create industry specific company file templates
- Export lists from old company file into a new data file
- Remove all transactions using condense data utility
Note: If you are a new to QuickBooks Desktop, you can use and play around sample company files to experiment and familiarize yourself with the program.
Start a new QuickBooks Desktop company file from scratch
Important: If you already have an existing company file saved on your computer and you want to create a new company file, make sure to use a unique name. If you use the same name for the new company file, it will override the existing company file and the data will be lost.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- On the No Company Open window, select Create a new company.
- Select Express Start or Detailed Start.
- Fill out the necessary information in QuickBooks Setup window.Note: Select Help me choose to see a description for every business type and the preset chart of accounts that QuickBooks will create for you per industry.
- Select Create Company.
- After creating your company file, you can start creating your customers, chart of accounts and services or you can do it later by choosing Start Working.
- Fill out the Easy Step Interview screen, then select Next.
- Select your Industry, then Next.
- Identify your type of business entity, then select Next.
- Set the first month of your fiscal year, then select Next.
- Set up your QuickBooks administrator password, then select Next.
- Choose the location where you you want to save your company file, then select Save.
- Select Next to customize your QuickBooks or you can do it later by selecting Leave.