Learn how to move your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop.
Convert your Quicken data to QuickBooks Desktop to continue growing your business. There are two simple ways to start the switch: convert directly to QuickBooks Desktop or use the Quicken converter to upgrade your file first. Here's how.
When to use Quicken Converter
- You only need to use the Quicken Converter if you are migrating from a Quicken version that is NOT a parallel version of your QuickBooks Desktop (e.g., Quicken 2018 to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2020).
- You can skip using the Quicken Converter and convert directly to QuickBooks using the Conversion Utility, if you have a version of Quicken that is a parallel version of QuickBooks Desktop (e.g., Quicken 2019 to QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Enterprise 2019).
- Quicken for Mac: The Quicken Converter, and the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks, cannot convert Quicken for Mac data file. If you have Quicken for Mac, convert your data file first to Quicken for Windows or create a new QuickBooks company file instead.
Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks
Use the Quicken Converter
Before using this tool, make sure you do not have another version of it installed. If you do, uninstall it from your computer and download the right one below.
- Download the version of converter tool that matches the year version of your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Install and convert.
- Launch the downloaded Quicken Converter, then select Next.
- Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, then choose Next.
- To start the installation of the Quicken Converter, select Next, then Install.
- Select Launch Quicken Converter, then Finish.
- Choose I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows, then select Get Started.
- Select Open a data file located on this computer, then Select File.
- Browse to select your Quicken file (.QDF) file and select OK.
- Select Convert it!, then select OK.
- To save your new Quicken Data File (.QDF) file, select Save, then select Exit.
Once your file is upgraded to a compatible version of Quicken, you can now start converting using the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks.
|Look for .QDF, not .QFX
Although the tool says it is creating a .QFX file (which can't be used for conversion), it is also creating a .QDF file. This is the file that you want to convert, not .QFX. Look for the upgraded .QDF file in a folder named Q18Files or Q17Files, which is at the same location as your original Quicken file. The .QDF file also has the same name as your original Quicken file.
Use the Conversion Utility
Convert your Quicken file using the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks Desktop.
- To do this, go to File > Utilities > Convert, then select From Quicken.
- Select the Quicken file (.QDF) that you want to convert.
- The Conversion Utility will guide you through the rest of the conversion.
For more details about the Conversion Utility, press F1 to access the Help window in your QuickBooks Desktop and type "convert from Quicken".
Converting from Quicken to QuickBooks Online?
Learn how to convert Quicken to QuickBooks Online.