Use the Custom transaction numbers option to set your own numbering preference. This adds an Invoice number field where you can enter any number or letter format you want. This is on by default, and includes a default numbering system.
Set your own numbering preference
- Go to Get paid & pay and select Invoices (Take me there).
- Select any invoice, then select Edit invoice. Or, select Create invoice to create a new invoice.
- In the Invoice no. field, enter the custom number or letter sequence you want to use for your forms. The sequence you set here applies to all sales forms.
- Select Save or Save and close.
Turn custom transaction numbers on or off
Once you have set up your custom invoice numbering, QuickBooks will follow the sequence you set up. Turn this setting off to prevent accidental changes.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and settings.
- Select Sales.
- In Sales form content, select Edit ✎.
- Turn Custom transaction numbers on or off.
- Select Save, then select Done.