Learn how to do a clean install of QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to fix company file issues.
Rest assured, a clean install won’t affect your accounting data since your company file and everything it holds aren’t involved at all.
Step 1: Gather your QuickBooks product info
- Download the installer for your version of QuickBooks.
- Have your license number handy. It should be on the original packaging or in the purchase confirmation email if you bought a digital version.
- Write down your product year and version.
Note: You can get this info from your account management portal.
Solution 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
If you run into issues when you uninstall QuickBooks, stop troubleshooting. There may be something going on with your computer. You should contact an IT professional or Microsoft for help.
Step 1: Remove QuickBooks
- Open the Windows Start menu. Search for “Control Panel”, then open Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- From the list of installed programs, select the version of QuickBooks Desktop you're having problems with.
- Select Uninstall/Change and then Remove. Select Next. If you don’t see this option, sign out and sign back in to Windows as an admin (or a user with admin rights).
Step 2: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
When you’re done, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
If this didn't fix your issue, move to Solution 2.
- Uninstall QuickBooks
- Follow the steps to display hidden files.
- Open the Windows Start menu. Search for “File Explorer”, then open File Explorer.
- Find and open the folder that holds your QuickBooks company files. This is usually your QuickBooks folder. It's usually in one of these locations:
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Right-click the folder and select Rename.
- Add the word "old" at the end of the folder name. This prevents QuickBooks from trying to open it when you reinstall.
- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
If you get an access error message when you try to rename the folder:
- Right-click the Windows Task Bar, then select Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- Select the Name column header to sort the list.
- Select the following processes and then End Process for each: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe.
- Select Yes if you see the message, "WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results..."