Learn how to change your company file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows.
If you switch from QuickBooks for Mac to Windows, you don’t have to start over. Convert your Mac company file to Windows and you’re good to go.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks
Follow the steps to update QuickBooks for Mac to the latest release.
Step 2: Get your company file ready
- Remove any memos longer than 50 characters or contain special characters like !@#$%^&*
- Re-sort your lists.
- Run verify and rebuild on your company file. Go to the File menu and select Utilities. Next, select Verify Data.
Step 3: Convert your company file
- Open your company file as the admin. Go to the File menu and select Export. Select To QuickBooks for Windows.
- If you’re prompted to verify before you back up, select Verify.
- Name the file and choose the folder to save it in. Then, select Save. Note: Make sure you don't add special characters in the file name.
- Enter and confirm your password and select OK.
- Select OK on the confirmation window.
- Move the file to your Windows computer. Most people do this with a USB flash drive, cloud storage, or email if the file is small enough.
- Restore the file in QuickBooks for Windows.
Do you send your Mac file to an accountant who has Windows and they send it back to you? This is known as round-tripping.
- Hold off on installing any QuickBooks updates until you get your file back.
- Avoid entering anything new while your accountant has your file. This way you don't lose any records when you get your file back.