Learn what to do if you see registration error messages.
If you see any of the error messages below after you register, subscribe, or sync your data in QuickBooks Desktop, don't worry. An install file may be causing the issue.
- "Error: The validation code is incorrect or the service is temporarily unavailable when activating."
- "Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties."
- "Message: You cannot use Online Banking because QuickBooks is not registered."
- "You must subscribe to the accountant's copy file transfer service"
- The Sync License Data Online option is grayed out.
We'll show you how to safely delete the file so you can refresh your registration.
Step 1: End all QuickBooks tasks
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and open Task Master. In Windows 10, select More Details and then Task Master.
- Go to the Processes tab.
- Select the Process Name header to sort the list alphabetically.
- Select any QBW32.exe processes you see and then End Task.
Then move on to Step 2.
Step 2: Delete your Entitlement file
The entitlement file tells QuickBooks your product is valid and registered. Find the file and delete it so you can reenter your license and product info.
- Open the Windows Start menu.
- Type "Run" into the search and open Run.
- Type C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 and then Enter. If this doesn't open a folder, enter C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6 instead.
- Find EntitlementDataStore.ecml. Right-click the file and select Delete. Select Yes to confirm.
- Open QuickBooks and your company file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to register QuickBooks again.