Learn how to resolve installation errors by deleting damaged file in QuickBooks Desktop.
Installation of QuickBooks Desktop requires you to enter a license number and a product code to complete the validation process. If the encrypted file containing the information is damaged, QuickBooks will not open.
In those situations, deleting the entitlement file and re-entering your license and product information will help resolve the issue. We show you how.
Common errors that can be fixed by deleting entitlement file
The following are some issues and errors that can be resolved by deleting the entitlement file:
- "Error: The validation code is incorrect or the service is temporarily unavailable when activating."
- "Error 3371: Could not initialize license properties."
- "Message: You cannot use Online Banking because QuickBooks is not registered."
- "You must subscribe to accountant's copy file transfer service" appears after you subscribe and sync.
- Error re-configuring your edition of QuickBooks.
- Sync License Data Online is grayed out and unclickable.
- Edit List link isn't in No Company Open window.
Delete the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Ensure that all QuickBooks processes are no longer running.
- From the keyboard, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. This opens the Task Manager.Windows 10: Select More Details to show Task Manager
- Select the Processes tab.
- Sort the processes alphabetically by selecting the Process Name header.
- Search for all instances of QBW32.EXE. And select and select End Task.
- Open the entitlement data folder for your operating system and version of QuickBooks.
- On your keyboard, press Windows+R to open the Run window.
- Enter C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 (or v6) and press Enter. (The folder location is the same for all QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise versions.)
- Right-click the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file. And select Delete.
- Select Yes to confirm you want to delete the file.
- Open your company file and follow the instructions to register the application.
|Note: If you have QuickBooks Point of Sale installed, you will also need to re-register the program since it uses the sameEntitlementDataStore.ecml file as QuickBooks Desktop.|