Learn what to do if you get error 403 in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
If you see “Error 403: Access Forbidden or Access Denied,” it means QuickBooks Desktop can’t connect to our services online.
To fix this, start by changing one of your internet settings.
Change the proxy server setting in Internet Explorer
Important: Follow this solution even if you have Windows 10 or don’t use Internet Explorer as your web browser. QuickBooks Desktop uses Internet Explorer behind the scenes to connect to our services online.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Select the Gear icon at the top right of the browser window. Or, press the Alt key on your computer to bring up the menu bar, then select the Tools menu.)
- Select Internet Options from the menu.
- Select the Connections tab.
- Select the LAN settings button.
- Uncheck the checkbox Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Select OK to close the LAN settings window.
- Select OK to close the Internet Options window.
If you don’t see Internet Explorer in Windows 10
Microsoft has replaced Internet Explorer with Edge as its main web browser. However, Internet Explorer is still in Windows 10. If you don’t see Internet Explorer on your computer, here’s how to open it through Edge:
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click the button with three dots (...) at the top right of the browser window.
- Select Open with Internet Explorer.
- Follow the steps above to change the proxy server setting.
Still see error 403?
Reach out to us. We’ll work with you to fix the problem.