Learn how to e-file your State Unemployment Filings from QuickBooks Desktop.
Depending on your state, you may have different options to file your state unemployment forms:
- E-file directly from QuickBooks Desktop
- Create a state unemployment file in QuickBooks Desktop and manually upload it to the state (or send by electronic media when applicable)
- Create and print paper copies of your unemployment forms from QuickBooks Desktop and send to the state.
We explain how to create and submit a state unemployment file to your state agency.
Do you know your state requirements?
If you're not sure what the requirements are for your state and the availability in QuickBooks Desktop, see Quick List of E-File & E-Pay Availability in QuickBooks.
Some states require that payment and forms are filed together, other states want them filed separately. Take a look at the following articles to see whether you need to file forms with payments or separately:
- E-file state forms and e-pay state taxes separately in QuickBooks
- E-file state forms and e-pay state taxes together in QuickBooks
If your state doesn't appear in either list, visit our Payroll Tax Compliance website and select your state to view form filing requirements.
|Note: Pennsylvania has updated their format from a CSV to an ICESA formatted file. This change requires additional information to be entered. Please follow the additional steps in the process to complete your file.|
Access the E-File feature
If you can directly e-file from QuickBooks Desktop, access the e-file feature:
- Select Employees, and select Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s.
- Select Process Payroll Forms.
Create a file to submit to your state for quarterly filing
If you cannot e-file your state quarterly filing forms, you can create a file in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced, and then manually upload the file you created to the state.
To create a file in QuickBooks Desktop to submit to your state:
- From the Employees menu, select Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s, and select Create State SUI E-file.
- In the Welcome window, select Continue.
- In the QuickBooks Payroll State SUI File window, select Continue.
- Select your state from the Select State drop-down list.
- Select Get QuickBooks Data.
- In the QuickBooks Payroll State SUI E-file - Updated window, select OK.
- Correct any errors or add missing information into the file.
- On the Add-Ins tab, locate the QuickBooks Payroll State SUI E-file drop-down arrow, and select Start Interview.
- Select the I understand that I must review my data and answer the following questions option and select Next.
- Note the file name and location. This is the file you send to the state.
It is critical that you accurately note the file name and location for this file.
- Select Next.
- Answer the questions and verify any auto-populated information.
- Select Next until you reach the End of Interview window, and select Create State File.
- In the State File Created prompt, select OK.
- In the Save Workbook window, select Yes to save the Excel workbook for your records.
This file is saved for your records. It is not the file you submit to the state.
Submit the file you created to your state
The following sections provide state-specific information about the filings that are supported using the file creation method and links to the state websites. State requirements for creating and submitting a file vary from state to state.