Consumers and investors alike care about companies that care about the environment. Getting a green business certification is one way to win their approval and prove that your business is environmentally and socially responsible.
Green business certifications are awarded to businesses that adopt sustainable policies and practices that benefit the planet. These certifications are usually granted by third-party organizations, like non-profits or industry associations—and there are a lot to choose from.
Which certification you choose depends on your business, but there are a few things to look for. In general, you should work with an organization that:
- Is recognizable and relevant to your customers
- Has clear standards that are developed by experts and backed by science
- Requires third-party testing or investigations
- Provides support and guidance to certified businesses
- Has a clear certification process
If you’re still not sure which green business certification is right for you, a business consultant can help you make the right decision.