Download simple invoice templates in a variety of file formats. Options include Word invoice templates, Excel invoice templates, Google invoice templates, and PDF invoice templates.
Free invoice templates
Download free customizable and printable invoice templates from QuickBooks.
Our professional invoice template lets you create custom invoices online and download them in a variety of printable file formats.
More types of business invoice templates
If you need something more than a basic invoice template, check out our industry-specific invoice templates. Find the right invoice template for your business and industry, in your file format of choice.
Select invoice template
Select downloadable format
Tired of manually creating and sending each invoice?
Save time and use pay-enabled invoices to get paid 4x faster than those who don’t with online invoicing software in QuickBooks.¹ No more paper checks, transaction fees, or hectic bank runs. Send custom invoices and accept payment right in the online invoice. Customers can pay with a variety of payment methods, including credit cards, debit cards, Apple Pay®, and ACH bank transfers—anywhere, anytime!
How to use invoice templates to create professional invoices
- Select the downloadable invoice template in the file format and style that suits your business needs. Choose a standard invoice template, or select one specific to your industry and business.
- Complete the template by filling out key details and line items: your contact information, the invoice number, the date the invoice is being issued, payment terms and due date, and a description of the goods or services sold.
- Calculate the subtotal of your sale and add sales tax to find the total amount to be billed.
Manual invoices vs. invoice software
QuickBooks Invoice Software
- Add a button to invoices so your customers can easily pay directly online with a variety of payment methods
- Track outstanding invoices and get alerts to your mobile device when your invoices are viewed and paid.
- Send payment reminders to your customers from within QuickBooks
- Set up recurring automatic invoices on any schedule you choose
- Customer information is automatically pulled in, making prep simple
- May involve more steps to issue, and for customers to complete payments
- Require manual entry and calculation of customer and sale information
- Need to be manually tracked and monitored
- Require manual follow up for payment reminders and past-due payment notifications
- Late payments may lead to cash flow problems
More ways to create an invoice template
Use QuickBooks’ free invoice generator tool
Create and download invoices using our free invoice generator.
Our invoice generator makes it simple to create professional invoices, with the option to add your business logo. Use the tool to fill out your invoice information, then download the completed invoice and send it to your customer.
Use Google Docs to create an invoice document
Google Docs provide downloadable templates that can be used to generate an invoice. To take advantage of a Google Docs invoice template, follow these instructions after logging into your Google account.
- Within Google Drive, clock the “+ New” button, then scroll down to Google Docs. Click the arrow next to it and select “From a template.”
- Type “invoice” in the search bar on the templates page; this will bring up a collection of invoice templates, so you can select the best option for your business.
- Tailor the page using the template selected. You can add or omit custom entry fields as needed.
Download a template for use in Microsoft Word
Within Microsoft Word, there are pre-existing invoice templates. Use these instructions to create an invoice within Word.
- Click “File,” then select “New Template.”
- Navigate to the search bar on the right hand side, type in “invoice”, then choose the template that suits your needs.
- Tailor the template as needed, then save to your computer.
Invoice template FAQ
What is an invoice template?
An invoice template is a document that makes it simple to create new invoices. An invoice template outlines the necessary fields included on an invoice. Use the fillable invoice template to create an invoice by completing the blank fields in the template with your business, sale, and customer information.
What do you write on an invoice?
Include the following elements on each invoice you create:
- Your business contact information
- The invoice number assigned to the invoice you are creating
- The date the invoice is being issued
- Your terms of payment
- Clear descriptions of the goods or services you’re billing against
Beyond these important requirements, you can adjust your invoices to meet the needs of your business.
How do I issue an invoice?
To send an invoice to your customers, first save the completed invoice template. Then you can either print and mail the invoice to your customer’s billing address, or send the invoice to your customer’s email address. Be sure to track your sent invoices, making note of when the invoice was issued and when payment is due.
How can I keep track of sent invoices?
Keep track of your invoices using an invoice tracking system, like a spreadsheet or accounting software that automatically records the status of your invoices. Accurate documentation of the invoices you issue can help you spot outstanding payments as soon as they’re overdue and improve cash flow.
Do invoices need to be numbered?
Numbering your invoices makes it easy to track payments and keep your accounting records straight. Numbered invoices help ensure that your business income is properly documented when it comes time to pay taxes. Assign each invoice you issue with a unique invoice number, and document the invoice number directly on the invoice and in your records.