Learn how to fix PSXXX errors when downloading payroll updates in QuickBooks Desktop.
You'll see the following PSXXX error codes when trying to download payroll updates in QuickBooks Desktop:
These error codes are caused by any of the following:
- Incorrect internet connection settings.
- A firewall setting that blocks payroll updates in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Damaged file in the CPS folder
To fix the error, try these steps:
Step 1: Check your payroll service subscription
- Close all your company files and restart your computer.
- Open QuickBooks, go to Employees, select My Payroll Service, then select Manage Service Key.
- Your Service Name and Status should be correct and will show as Active.
- Select Edit, and verify the service key number. If incorrect, enter the correct service key.
- Select Next, uncheck the Open Payroll Setup box, then select Finish.
- This will download the entire payroll update. If you still see the error, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Register and update your QuickBooks Desktop
It's important to have the latest security and software improvements. Here's how to check if your software is registered.
- Press F2 on your keyboard to open Product Information.
- Beside the license number, check if it says Activated.
Note: If it doesn’t say Activated, register your QuickBooks Desktop.
- After you register QuickBooks Desktop, update it to the latest release.
- Download the latest payroll tax table update. If you still see the error, proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: Run Quick Fix my Program from QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Close your company files and QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save the file somewhere you can easily find it (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop).
- Follow on-screen steps to install, and agree to Terms and Conditions.
- Once finished, double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon to open.
- In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, select Program Problems.
- Select Quick Fix my Program.
- Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
- Download the latest tax table.